Can I be really technical in my PS?

Watch
Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I wanted to talk about a few things in my personal statement ; such as things I've learnt from the activities I've done, can I include technical terms for like most of my personal statement (65% ish)?

Furthermore do you think it's a waste of space to define terms, in the way I've learnt them like...
I learnt about X theory, this is when ......
Or is that a waste of space?

Thanks
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Parziva1)
I wanted to talk about a few things in my personal statement ; such as things I've learnt from the activities I've done, can I include technical terms for like most of my personal statement (65% ish)?

Furthermore do you think it's a waste of space to define terms, in the way I've learnt them like...
I learnt about X theory, this is when ......
Or is that a waste of space?

Thanks
I think you need to revisit this idea - who has told you it is sensible to do this?
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
I think you need to revisit this idea - who has told you it is sensible to do this?
Both ideas?
SmallAnt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you'll get an opportunity to discuss further during an uni interview - I wouldn't try to patronise the admissions team unless it's something really out of the ordinary or uncommon to know about / unrelated to what you're applying for.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Both ideas?
Yes - read the section on here about writing a PS
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmallAnt)
I think you'll get an opportunity to discuss further during an uni interview - I wouldn't try to patronise the admissions team unless it's something really out of the ordinary or uncommon to know about / unrelated to what you're applying for.
Would it be Ok if these technical terms are in relation to the course?
Parziva1
Rep:
?
Yes - read the section on here about writing a PS
Would it be OK if I can write about the things I've learnt for the course?
I'm talking about a theory in my PS, would the person checking my personal statement be a professor of the subject?
Plain1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm talking about a theory in my PS, would the person checking my personal statement be a professor of the subject?
I dont understand why you want to write about a theory in your PS. You aren't trying to educate the admissions team, you're supposed to be selling yourself.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plain1)
I dont understand why you want to write about a theory in your PS. You aren't trying to educate the admissions team, you're supposed to be selling yourself.
Like talking about what I've learnt and what I found interesting : talking about how I used this as part of the work that followed?

Would that be good?
mez_merising
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes if you can talk about it in depth and be expected to be grilled on it at interview. but i do agree with people above, your ps is more about why youre the best candidate for your chosen course at your chosen uni not why you love a theory
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Which universities? They won't be interested in you trying to show off - you need to show your passion and why you want to study further.
SmallAnt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would it be Ok if these technical terms are in relation to the course?
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at -

Given that you're already limited to 4000 characters, I'd highly advise that you format it in that way where you dont DEFINE what you've learnt. personally I'd phrase it this way for example, roughly speaking:

"I've managed to take the opportunity to learn about X, what I find most fascinating when researching was that Y and Z had appeared beyond the scope of what people would think. It interlinked principles of innovation and life sciences together" etc etc.

I think it's a plus to always try to link your sentences and paragraphs tailored to you and what you've experienced from it, instead of coming across as a textbook narrator sort-of tone.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
Which universities? They won't be interested in you trying to show off - you need to show your passion and why you want to study further.
I was looking at two Russel Group universities (ambitious I know)
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmallAnt)
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at -

Given that you're already limited to 4000 characters, I'd highly advise that you format it in that way where you dont DEFINE what you've learnt. personally I'd phrase it this way for example, roughly speaking:

"I've managed to take the opportunity to learn about X, what I find most fascinating when researching was that Y and Z had appeared beyond the scope of what people would think. It interlinked principles of innovation and life sciences together" etc etc.

I think it's a plus to always try to link your sentences and paragraphs tailored to you and what you've experienced from it, instead of coming across as a textbook narrator sort-of tone.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.89%
I'm not sure (2)
1.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.71%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (57)
46.34%

Watched Threads