lane_in_pain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
how do I find an empirical formula given a molecular formula? im trying to find the empirical formula of CaCO3
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lane_in_pain)
how do I find an empirical formula given a molecular formula? im trying to find the empirical formula of CaCO3
CaCO3 could be written as Ca1C1O3, i.e. a 1:1:3 ratio. The lowest whole number ratio of those numbers is 1:1:3.

Compare this with glucose's molecular formula: C6H12O6. The lowest whole number ratio of that is C1H2O1, i.e. CH2O - this is the empirical formula for glucose.
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
how do I find an empirical formula given a molecular formula?
I had my first chemistry test, and this was one of the questions (We had the molecular formular of Ammonium nitrate and we had to work out that it was ammonium nitrate and use that to find out the empirical formula). My brain, was ever so confused.
Sorry, that's a bit of a tangent compared to your questions, but I had the sudden urge to express the above experience
A sheesh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The empirical formula of CaCO3 is CaCO3.

Molecular formula tells us the number of atoms of each element we have in a compound e.g glucose is C6 H12 O6.

Empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of a compound. So for glucose, the most common number is 6. So it would be C H2 O
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed