Do lecturers expect us to read the whole chapter?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay so basically for every module I will get set a reading each week (and also for one specific module, there's a few things I have to watch as well as read), sometimes these readings aren't very long and I don't mind that but a lot of the time my lecturers will set super long chapters that we need to read for the seminar and I struggle with getting through the whole thing. I'm second year now so I have done a fair bit of academic reading but I still sometimes struggle keeping up with all my readings because I get set about 5 a week + a watching. I was just wondering if lecturers actually expect us to read the whole of these chapters or would reading half of it suffice (or at least enough to understand the reading)? Also, if anyone else has struggled to keep up with the readings like me?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure what your course is (mine was English and Education) but by second year we were only really skim reading things/looking at essay topics we knew we would do and paid more attention to those weeks.
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay so basically for every module I will get set a reading each week (and also for one specific module, there's a few things I have to watch as well as read), sometimes these readings aren't very long and I don't mind that but a lot of the time my lecturers will set super long chapters that we need to read for the seminar and I struggle with getting through the whole thing. I'm second year now so I have done a fair bit of academic reading but I still sometimes struggle keeping up with all my readings because I get set about 5 a week + a watching. I was just wondering if lecturers actually expect us to read the whole of these chapters or would reading half of it suffice (or at least enough to understand the reading)? Also, if anyone else has struggled to keep up with the readings like me?
Depends what it's about. If it's something I really need to understand then I'll sit and read it so I learn it. If it's not that important I skim read.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,

This will depend on your course, but I was generally told by my tutors to skim read and focus on the important topics in the chapter, for example if I did not fully understand a certain concept in the lecture I would focus my reading on that.

Zaira
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was just wondering if lecturers actually expect us to read the whole of these chapters or would reading half of it suffice (or at least enough to understand the reading)?
So this is “lecturer speak” for “anything in the chapters I set is something I am perfectly at liberty to set an exam question on”.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49.07%

Watched Threads