starting uni at 20/21 years old

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
is it common/normal to go to uni after two years out of education? because i still havent decided what degree to do at uni and im so stressed, and i already feel like im missing out and wasting my youth being alone in my room all day lol help im 18 btw, and this is the beginning of my first year out of education (im supposed to be doing an art foundation year but i dropped out after week 3)
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yup its pretty normal.
Yourgirl00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Completely normal. You do you. Don’t worry if you haven’t figured out what to do with your life yet. No one really does.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah my sister is 35 and she is doing uni so don’t worry 😉
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
I started uni when I was 20, although I didn't tell many people. Made 0 difference I was still able to make friends & have the proper "experience" as a normal 18 year old would. I don't think many people even knew I was older.

We make a big deal of age as teenagers but it makes very little difference once you're an adult.
jade-0702
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
is it common/normal to go to uni after two years out of education? because i still havent decided what degree to do at uni and im so stressed, and i already feel like im missing out and wasting my youth being alone in my room all day lol help im 18 btw, and this is the beginning of my first year out of education (im supposed to be doing an art foundation year but i dropped out after week 3)
It's completely normal to begin your university life at this age and I feel like there shouldn't be such a pressure to have your mind made up at 18, it should be treated as the students who are 100% sure that university is for them are fully supported and students who either don't want to go or aren't sure receive just as much support too. Just remember that sitting in your lecture could be some 50 year old that has just decided on what their dream career is, it is never too late to start university and it shouldn't be seen as a missed opportunity because you didn't go fresh from college.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I started my degree at 25 (now 28 and in my final year after doing a year in industry). There were plenty of people my own age (and older) on my course. I appreciated the advantage being older gave me. I was only navigating a new field, whereas they were navigating adulthood for the first time on top of their studies (I moved out at 18 so things like cooking/laundry/bills/etc weren't new obstacles for me).
Last edited by sinfonietta; 3 weeks ago
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I didn't start until my late 30s. Grad employers seem to love it. I've only gone for internships but I've got them because I have 'life experience' .
It's a positive, so don't worry.
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just to add to the comments here, yes absolutely normal. I'm 20, just starting second year and loads of people I know are 18-24 doing a 3 year at various stages, you will be absolutely fine
tiktoksensation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm in a similar situation. I'm 19 now and I'll be 20 (almost 21) by the time I hopefully start uni next September. I had to take some time out to work on my mental health and I'm much better for it. I honestly think that if I had gone to uni when I was 18 I wouldn't have coped. You'll find plenty of people your age and even older who start university a bit later in life. Just focus on yourself and you'll be fine.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was 23/24
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tiktoksensation)
I'm in a similar situation. I'm 19 now and I'll be 20 (almost 21) by the time I hopefully start uni next September. I had to take some time out to work on my mental health and I'm much better for it. I honestly think that if I had gone to uni when I was 18 I wouldn't have coped. You'll find plenty of people your age and even older who start university a bit later in life. Just focus on yourself and you'll be fine.
thank you this really helped! and i'm so proud of you for prioritising your mental health! i hope uni goes well for you <3
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi Anonymous,

Absolutely! It's completely normal and common to go after a break. Some of my close friends haven't been in education for 7 years + but have decided to go back to uni. The vibe at uni tends to feel different and you can't notice age gaps like you might've previously. It's much better to take that time to make your decision on what you want to study rather than forcing yourself to do a degree you're not keen on.

I hope this reassures you and feel free to message us if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (104)
13.33%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.9%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
48.97%

Watched Threads