Random2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi

I’m starting my 2021 application.

I was wondering how much your average student loan will cover accommodation costs per week?

Accommodation for me is looking to be between £160-200.

Is this average and will my student loan cover this or how much?

Might be a stupid question but oh well.

Cheers
eroper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To me, that looks slightly expensive in terms of accommodation costs

In terms of whether your student loan will cover that, the loan varies with a number of factors. You can use the student loan calculator to see what you're likely to get https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Random2001)
Hi

I’m starting my 2021 application.

I was wondering how much your average student loan will cover accommodation costs per week?

Accommodation for me is looking to be between £160-200.

Is this average and will my student loan cover this or how much?

Might be a stupid question but oh well.

Cheers
Hey Random2001!

The amount you get in your student loan depends on your parents income - if you are living at home and have no dependents etc
And also if you're living in London or outside of London

My accommodation in first year was around £125 a week and this wasn't covered by my student loan so my parents had to pay the rest of my rent and give me money to live off - as well as me getting a part time job so I could go out and enjoy myself whilst at uni

So if your loan isn't going to be enough to cover the rent I'd also consider getting a summer job if you can and saving up as much money as possible for uni

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Random2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey Random2001!

The amount you get in your student loan depends on your parents income - if you are living at home and have no dependents etc
And also if you're living in London or outside of London

My accommodation in first year was around £125 a week and this wasn't covered by my student loan so my parents had to pay the rest of my rent and give me money to live off - as well as me getting a part time job so I could go out and enjoy myself whilst at uni

So if your loan isn't going to be enough to cover the rent I'd also consider getting a summer job if you can and saving up as much money as possible for uni

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Thank you! That explains a lot! Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads