?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
how would I structure an answer when comparing two poems together
Baniazz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can compare two poems based on language techniques and the content such as theme. First, start by analysing each poem separately. Background, context, themes, title come under content while language techniques range from rhythm, rhymes, alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia and so on. When you analyse you look for the effect created by the language technique so, for example, alliteration and the purpose of using alliteration at a certain point. Look for connections between these techniques and themes, background, context and content. Once you are done analysing each poem you look for the similarities and differences between both poems in terms of all the features such as content and literary devices.
Then you can structure your essay. An example of a common structure would be:
Introduction: 1 paragraph on introducing and outline of the essay
BODY: Similarities talk about the similarities between the two poems, You can use one paragraph per feature let`s say both poems were written during a similar time period you discuss that in one paragraph and move onto the next paragraph on similarities of other features between the poems
BODY: Differences now talk about the differences between the two poems. Again you can use one paragraph to talk about one feature that is different between both poems and proceed to the next one.
CONCLUSION: summarize what you have mentioned throughout and end with a conclusive statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads