\^_^/
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im in yr 12 and hey started to talk about work expeience (already ik) but i want to do psychology in uni what would be the best work experience to do
Stormy Thunder
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This depends really on what sector in the Psychology you want to go to and the degree you what to achieve. There are many options, for example:
- Educational/ Child psychologist= Perhaps a nursery or primary school
- Clinical psychologist= A pharmacy as you would be prescribing medicines to people.
- Consumer Psychologist= The Grocery Store/ shops (they look at the minds of shopper)
- Developmental Psychologists= They look at human growth and changes in life span. So a place of work experience is a Youth Group or somewhere at your Community.
- Or Forensic Psychologists= Give brief evidence of criminals based on their psychological traits. I'm not sure wha work experience is needed but volunteering at a Youth Justice Board might work.

I hope this is helpful.
\^_^/
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stormy Thunder)
This depends really on what sector in the Psychology you want to go to and the degree you what to achieve. There are many options, for example:
- Clinical psychologist= A pharmacy as you would be prescribing medicines to people.
- Consumer Psychologist= The Grocery Store/ shops (they look at the minds of shopper)
- Developmental Psychologists= They look at human growth and changes in life span. So a place of work experience is a Youth Group or somewhere at your Community.
- Or Forensic Psychologists= Give brief evidence of criminals based on their psychological traits. I'm not sure wha work experience is needed but volunteering at a Youth Justice Board might work.

I hope this is helpful.
thank you so much im still not sure on which sector but this really helps
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Actually clinical psychologists dont prescribe medicines.

If you are thinking about doing this for applying for uni, work experience doesnt matter. It is basically impossible to do anything while you are at college that is with psychologists either. Focus on something you find interesting now
\^_^/
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Actually clinical psychologists dont prescribe medicines.

If you are thinking about doing this for applying for uni, work experience doesnt matter. It is basically impossible to do anything while you are at college that is with psychologists either. Focus on something you find interesting now
thank you our school have found lots of virtual work experiences to do not sure which to do tho
but thank you
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP, you'll find it difficult to find much direct work experience due to your age and the nature of Psychology as a profession. I would focus on reading around the subject, finding areas you're interested in and speaking about these in your personal statement - uni's don't ask for any kind of experience for the BSc as they know it's virtually impossible to get.

When you're 18 you could look at volunteering with charities, things like Samaritans, anything mental health based or working with vulnerable groups like those who are homeless or have drug addictions. But for now I would stick with anything where you'd be working with a variety of different people as it would enhance your communication and interpersonal skills.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stormy Thunder)

I hope this is helpful.
Forensic Psychology is based more on the assessment and rehabiliation of offenders than anything else. There's a lot of developing interventions, completing risk assessments, research, statistics, supervision, training other members of staff to improve their resilence when working with offenders - only experienced FP's tend to give expert evidence in court and even then it's largely for parole boards rather than as a witness for the defendent. FP's can also work with victims although this is less common.

Experience is generally difficult to come by, again due to the nature of the work, but even more so in the forensic sector. There are some charities you can volunteer with but you'd need to be 18 as a minimum and undergo both assessments and vetting before starting. The organisation I'm with works directly with offenders in prison but you need to be 25. Things like the Witness Service are easier to be accepted onto as you work with victims/witnesses rather than offenders but age restrictions still apply.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check out independent custody visitor roles at your local police station. I think they accept 18 year olds. It's a voluntary role and gives the opportunity to meet, and sometimes help, a variety of people.
It's a role that don't have enough volunteers, so there's a good chance of getting a place.
It also gives good evidence and experience when applying for internships with prisons etc when at uni, if you wanted to progress to forensic.
No matter what you choose in psychology, meeting a broad range of people from all backgrounds is very useful in psychology.
\^_^/
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
OP, you'll find it difficult to find much direct work experience due to your age and the nature of Psychology as a profession. I would focus on reading around the subject, finding areas you're interested in and speaking about these in your personal statement - uni's don't ask for any kind of experience for the BSc as they know it's virtually impossible to get.

When you're 18 you could look at volunteering with charities, things like Samaritans, anything mental health based or working with vulnerable groups like those who are homeless or have drug addictions. But for now I would stick with anything where you'd be working with a variety of different people as it would enhance your communication and interpersonal skills.
thank you i'll try
\^_^/
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plain1)
Check out independent custody visitor roles at your local police station. I think they accept 18 year olds. It's a voluntary role and gives the opportunity to meet, and sometimes help, a variety of people.
It's a role that don't have enough volunteers, so there's a good chance of getting a place.
It also gives good evidence and experience when applying for internships with prisons etc when at uni, if you wanted to progress to forensic.
No matter what you choose in psychology, meeting a broad range of people from all backgrounds is very useful in psychology.
im not 18 yet im in year 12 but thanks for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads