The Student Room Group

My highschool DofE experience was a disaster...

So my highschool organised our bronze Duke Of Edinburgh last year (Y10) and it was a disaster, so much so that I don't even know if I've completed it.

We did the entire first day of the expedition (6 hours walking) perfectly fine, but on day 2, we only made it about 4 hours, however, this wasn't technically our fault. Basically, the truck that was supplying water throughout the day was hit by a tractor (no one was hurt) and so most of my group refused to go on for fear of getting lost in the heat with no water refill. We weren't allowed to go on individually, even though I would've so I could've finished it, so technically we never got to complete it as it was too late by the time everything had been fixed.

However, I don't think it would be fair for us to not get bronze, as we were only 2 hours off the target and had problems out of our control. As well as this, I volunteered for 3 months, and did the physical and skill sections too, so I really don't want to have to do all of that again.

Where this becomes really significant is because I plan on doing the silver and maybe even gold in college, but can't unless my bronze is considered to be completed. My school has been terrible at communicating with us, with most teachers not even knowing if we passed or not.

What do you think? Would this be considered a pass, or would I have to redo it? Who could I contact to check either way?
Were there external assessors present at your expedition? Otherwise it's just a practice
Reply 2
I've done some research and found that I may be able to move straight to silver without officially being considered as doing bronze by doing extra in one section as well as the silver stuff. I think this may be my best option, and I will already have the experience of the expedition so I know what to expect for that, which is a bonus.

Has anyone else skipped straight to silver/gold? And is a lot more difficult?
Reply 3
Original post by AaronJ221
Where this becomes really significant is because I plan on doing the silver and maybe even gold in college, but can't unless my bronze is considered to be completed

Yes you can. You can do direct entry silver and gold. The DofE rules specifically allow it.

Quick Reply

Latest