Oxbridge - personal statement and CV

Watch
Elrand
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I want to apply for postgraduate courses at Cambridge and Oxford. I have an outstanding working experience as I took two gap years as well as perfect results from an undergraduate course in the same field that I am applying for. Naturally, I wrote it all to my CV.

The question is: should I include it to my personal statement too? I've made a proposal showing my philosophy, personality, vision and why I want to study there. I think together with my CV it works just perfectly – my awards and skills in the CV, any my personality and ideas in the statement. But I realise that the statement does not fully work on its own without seeing the CV too.

However, my friend who got an offer for the same course from Oxford, Cambridge and LSE told me to write down my awards and successes in the first place. He also told me that expecting them to read both of the documents is pretty naïve and that I need to use all the space to prove that I am better than the other applicants. He showed me his own statement and it just seemed to be a list of his successes and skills he got thanks to them, the things that I think should rather be in resume. It just goes against all these 'show your passion' and 'it is not just about grades' mantras I keep seeing on the internet.

I haven't got any experience with the British universities yet, so I will appreciante any advice
Last edited by Elrand; 3 weeks ago
FriedFish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bump (hopefully someone else can help you with this)
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Elrand)
Hi, I want to apply for postgraduate courses at Cambridge and Oxford. I have an outstanding working experience as I took two gap years as well as perfect results from an undergraduate course in the same field that I am applying for. Naturally, I wrote it all to my CV.

The question is: should I include it to my personal statement too? I've made a proposal showing my philosophy, personality, vision and why I want to study there. I think together with my CV it works just perfectly – my awards and skills in the CV, any my personality and ideas in the statement. But I realise that the statement does not fully work on its own without seeing the CV too.

However, my friend who got an offer for the same course from Oxford, Cambridge and LSE told me to write down my awards and successes in the first place. He also told me that expecting them to read both of the documents is pretty naïve and that I need to use all the space to prove that I am better than the other applicants. He showed me his own statement and it just seemed to be a list of his successes and skills he got thanks to them, the things that I think should rather be in resume. It just goes against all these 'show your passion' and 'it is not just about grades' mantras I keep seeing on the internet.

I haven't got any experience with the British universities yet, so I will appreciante any advice
I've moved this to the postgrad forum - more likely to get a reply
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Elrand)

Don't know about Oxford and LSE, but Cambridge uses an application form for PG degrees, not a CV and covering letter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads