Can a feminine gay guy make any male friends?

Watch
TheSagittarius
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just wondering if it is possible. It feels like all of the guys hang out with other guys of a similar temperament. My uni feels very "straight" and doesn't really have any feminine gays - it's all quiet introverts or football fan "lads".

I don't have anything against girls but I don't want to be that GBF who always goes shopping or whatever else. I want a more diverse friend group than the way it has been for a while.

Is it possible for me to have any male friends?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
No
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's possible but you're more likely to stick with females since you would share more in common.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel like surely there are people who are like you and would love to be friends, but if your uni feels very 'straight', idk if those people exist in your uni. Definitely possible in the long run tho
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
It's possible but you're more likely to stick with females since you would share more in common.
I suppose that is partially true but not necessarily. I'm not a woman and I don't do much things like shopping. And I feel that a lot of women would typecast me in the GBF role which I don't particularly care for.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Ye but low chance. Straight feel uncomfortable w gay guys for numerous reason such as thinking they like us lol
Celtic Conjurer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For sure. There was a slightly feminine gay guy in our friendship group at uni and the rest of us were straight lads. Not an issue.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheSagittarius)
Just wondering if it is possible. It feels like all of the guys hang out with other guys of a similar temperament. My uni feels very "straight" and doesn't really have any feminine gays - it's all quiet introverts or football fan "lads".

I don't have anything against girls but I don't want to be that GBF who always goes shopping or whatever else. I want a more diverse friend group than the way it has been for a while.

Nope, have a gay friend and others in my circle, the only thing in the way is your own hesitation wouldnt worry too much about it
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

yes but it can be kinda hard to. a lot of straight guys like to assume you're just after their **** 🙄
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
yes but it can be kinda hard to. a lot of straight guys like to assume you're just after their **** 🙄
Ewwwwewww🤢🤮
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ewwwwewww🤢🤮
guess what, gay people are everywhere, you probably have at least one at your work/school/sports club/gym
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

You'd be more likely to make straight male friends if you weren't feminine...
TheSagittarius
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
Thx for stating the obvious...
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you think it's that easy? lol. i don't even have to say a single word and people will instantly assume i'm gay. idk what it is.
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Yes, as long as you don’t get too touchy
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson)
Yes, as long as you don’t get too touchy
hilarious, just because you're a man doesn't mean every gay guy finds you attractive. do you have the same 'rules' for women?
Mad_Dog_Graveson
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
hilarious, just because you're a man doesn't mean every gay guy finds you attractive. do you have the same 'rules' for women?
Of course not, they’re free to be touchy
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
you think it's that easy? lol. i don't even have to say a single word and people will instantly assume i'm gay. idk what it is.
Probably something about the way you dress/your mannerisms ....or you might just "look" gay.

Believe it or not, there is a computer AI that can guess your sexuality from just looking at you with 91% accuracy. Humans are probably somewhat less accurate at guessing, ..but the fabled Gaydar is not a complete myth imo
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Probably something about the way you dress/your mannerisms ....or you might just "look" gay.

Believe it or not, there is a computer AI that can guess your sexuality from just looking at you with 91% accuracy. Humans are probably somewhat less accurate at guessing, ..but the fabled Gaydar is not a complete myth imo
maybe. gaydar is an actual thing, lol. but it's supposed to only work for gay people, not fair! 😂 but yeah it's not always totally accurate
blursi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Whew the subtle homophobia in this chat !!

Honestly the people on TSR are not a true representation of the wider population, let alone the people in your uni. As others have said, the only thing that's stopping you from making friends out there is your hesitation and your prejudice of them, you said that it seems like there's only introverts and straights....that's what you think, have you gone up to them and talked to them? Tried to get to know them?
I suggest going out of your way to speak to others, maybe start with those in your course? Or societies, if they're running ofc. Maybe even try people in your accommodation.

You will find people that will want to be your friend regardless of your sexual preference and your demeanour, it's quite sad that it's still such an issue even now, but you'll be fine If you do find that some people seem uncomfortable or rejecting of your presence please don't be disheartened, that's their issue not yours, you're not losing anything.

My brother has a large circle of straight and gay guys that actually met in uni that are still in contact now. They meet up often despite them getting married to their girlfriends and boyfriends that some of them also met in uni, and working around the globe over the past few years. They're all perfectly fine with each other, so there's your example that you will make friends

I think it's really all dependent on the level of maturity of the guys...
If they let your sexual preference get in the way of getting to know you and a good friendship, then they're just a waste of oxygen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed