The Student Room Group

CS Personal Statement

Hi guys,
I've wrote a personal statement for a Computer Science course but I've got a few questions. (Applying for Imperial, Durham, Warwick, Southampton and Birmingham)
-Is writing about experience I have with working with Ubisoft be useful putting down even though the course does not have any game modules?
-Is talking about cybersecurity when it's not one of the core modules a good idea?
And generally any tips on what I should and shouldn't talk about.
Thanks and please ask any questions if you want me to expand on anything.
Original post by Materol
Hi guys,
I've wrote a personal statement for a Computer Science course but I've got a few questions. (Applying for Imperial, Durham, Warwick, Southampton and Birmingham)
-Is writing about experience I have with working with Ubisoft be useful putting down even though the course does not have any game modules?
-Is talking about cybersecurity when it's not one of the core modules a good idea?
And generally any tips on what I should and shouldn't talk about.
Thanks and please ask any questions if you want me to expand on anything.

Hello @Materol :biggrin: I'd say your experience using Ubisoft is relevant as long as you are able to show what you gained from this. You could certainly use it to show you are capable in more than what the course demands, and to also show your potential career path if that's something you would consider. If the courses you're applying for don't have a big focus on this try not to use up *too* much space talking about this though. But definitely show this off!

I'd also say that mentioning cyber security could be useful when showing your understanding of Computer Science and the industry in general. You can talk about key themes and how they are impacting the world, and what fascinates you most and has driven you to be a part of it all.

I know we're not one of the universities you're considering, but in my opinion we'd be looking to get to know you as an applicant and find out more about why we should offer you a space on the course. Talk about your understanding of the subject area, and the good things you've been involved with outwith your studies (Ubisoft being a perfect example), and tell us how these make you suitable to study Computer Science. Maybe have a think about some of the key skills someone on this course would need (problem solving, analytical, attention to detail all spring to mind) and how the things you've done show you've got those skills. We want to hear from applicants who have done their research and know they are going to enjoy the course.

Best of luck with your application!! Hope this helps.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
It's best to focus on things that are relevant to the courses that you are applying for. You could mention the Ubisoft bit briefly, but you don't need to mention skills in an academic course like CS
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hello @Materol :biggrin: I'd say your experience using Ubisoft is relevant as long as you are able to show what you gained from this. You could certainly use it to show you are capable in more than what the course demands, and to also show your potential career path if that's something you would consider. If the courses you're applying for don't have a big focus on this try not to use up *too* much space talking about this though. But definitely show this off!

I'd also say that mentioning cyber security could be useful when showing your understanding of Computer Science and the industry in general. You can talk about key themes and how they are impacting the world, and what fascinates you most and has driven you to be a part of it all.

I know we're not one of the universities you're considering, but in my opinion we'd be looking to get to know you as an applicant and find out more about why we should offer you a space on the course. Talk about your understanding of the subject area, and the good things you've been involved with outwith your studies (Ubisoft being a perfect example), and tell us how these make you suitable to study Computer Science. Maybe have a think about some of the key skills someone on this course would need (problem solving, analytical, attention to detail all spring to mind) and how the things you've done show you've got those skills. We want to hear from applicants who have done their research and know they are going to enjoy the course.

Best of luck with your application!! Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback! I have made a (close) to final draft but some pesky lines are ruining my line limit :rolleyes: it's getting hard to drop lines off of it now!.
I barely got the character limit, didn't even consider lines. Hopefully my teacher will help me shave off useless info.
Original post by Materol
Thanks for the feedback! I have made a (close) to final draft but some pesky lines are ruining my line limit :rolleyes: it's getting hard to drop lines off of it now!.
I barely got the character limit, didn't even consider lines. Hopefully my teacher will help me shave off useless info.

Oh no! It can be really hard balancing the character and line limits can't it?! :unimpressed: I'm sure you'll get there in the end though- it's a good thing that you've got so much to say it's hard to cut down :u:

Best of luck with your application and if there's anything more I can help with feel free to give me a shout!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending