The Student Room Group

Struggling with flatmates at uni.Please help. So lonely

So I haven’t really hit it off with my flatmates. They’ve already formed friendships while I’ve been spending time in my room or with my coursemates. So last night I decided to try and interact with them, because I was already starting to get left out. Later on in the night, one of the girls got upset because her boyfriend broke up with her. All the girls went into her room to talk about it. I came behind and they shut the door in my face. I was already bored by then and although I know they don’t know me as well as the others, I was still a bit hurt so I went back to my room. I started crying in my room because I felt so overwhelmingly lonely. One of them realised I was gone and went to ask if I was okay. But it turns out the rest of the flat were listening to us and when she came out of my room they all started laughing & talking about me in the kitchen. I’ve never felt so embarrassed & patronised in my life. I’m scared to come out of my room. Please help
It's OK if you don't vibe with those people. It must feel awkward being in that situation, and it's made worse with corona, but know that it'll pass eventually. The change from high school to university (both socially and academically) is a very tough jump and it's natural to feel a bit lost. I had an unpleasant first year but honestly it just built me into a better person.

It was nice that one of your flatmates came to check if you were OK, though.
Reply 2
Oh this is a tough time for everyone and emotions are running high.I partly think they were laughing at that point because they had been dealing with two crying flatmates and if you did not laugh you would cry!Just be brave and act normal.I guarantee in a few weeks this lot will have fallen out with each other and will be ****ging off people to you.It is really early days
.Can you meet up with your course mates at all.Most people are not best friends with their housemates actually just polite and civil.Keep your chin up and do not hesitate to contact your parents or friends from home if you feel down.Sending a virtual hug!:console:
Reply 3

Quick Reply