Student finance overpayment left me unable to afford to go to university

Watch
samjc1981
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have a overpayment from last year and I understand that they have to take it back but it has been took from the first maintenance loan payment instead of being spread out over the 3 payments. I could even manage if it was the last maintenance payment but they have taken the full amount from the first payment so I don’t receive any money till January and I cannot afford to get to university or get a computer or anything I need I have applied for financial hardships but it’s been weeks and I am worried about being took off the course
Edit
Lazarev23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by samjc1981)
I have a overpayment from last year and I understand that they have to take it back but it has been took from the first maintenance loan payment instead of being spread out over the 3 payments. I could even manage if it was the last maintenance payment but they have taken the full amount from the first payment so I don’t receive any money till January and I cannot afford to get to university or get a computer or anything I need I have applied for financial hardships but it’s been weeks and I am worried about being took off the course
Edit
What is the overpayment for?
samjc1981
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I had to suspend my studies last year until this year
Lazarev23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by samjc1981)
I had to suspend my studies last year until this year
So did you spend all the maintenance money that they overpaid you last year?
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why would you spend your overpayment? obviously they’d want it back in some way?
Anonymusy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You shouldn't have spent the extra money, should have saved it for now. There may be a hardship fund or something you can apply for at your uni and there are charities/organisations that will help. There was a website for these but I can't remember it, my uni sent me links when I told them i couldn't afford anything like travel costs, course course equipment etc as I applied late for student finance which was a few years ago. Ask your uni if there's any financial help available like a hardship fund. They should has something but you may have to provide some kind of proof to get the money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
15.93%
I'm not sure (8)
2.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.24%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.36%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.76%

Watched Threads