averagemusicprod
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
right okay so I want to study music production at uni next year, I can produce instrumentals and beats, sing, and write lyrics but struggle with the theory side of it and don’t actually have any grades for any instruments (I can use a midi keyboard but know no theory on it). Will I be able to complete a music production course starting like this? Will it be taught within the course? I already make decent music on my own but am looking to further my knowledge. I don't wanna pay 9 grand to be painfully under qualified when I get there
Seancanucks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t know why you’re asking here, the best thing to do would be to look at Uni’s module/course guides and see what they teach and what they expect.

Music theory was taught to all music students at college level when I was that age, really it’s stuff you can easily find online and learn yourself. You have a year, not to mention more reason to be at home where you can study since covid has social restrictions.

You will benefit from learning it on a personal level as it gives you a deeper understanding of the language that music is. What you’re doing right now is either trial and error or educated guesses based on songs you’ve already heard, whilst that can be inspiring, I find it can also be quite hollow when you get to a section where it just doesn’t feel as powerful as you want. Knowing theory is basically like being a handyman who has to borrow whatever tools are available on-site because you didn’t bring your own kit.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As above - stop being lazy and check the entry requirements on a range of Music Technology courses yourself.
SAE Institute Student Rep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by averagemusicprod)
right okay so I want to study music production at uni next year, I can produce instrumentals and beats, sing, and write lyrics but struggle with the theory side of it and don’t actually have any grades for any instruments (I can use a midi keyboard but know no theory on it). Will I be able to complete a music production course starting like this? Will it be taught within the course? I already make decent music on my own but am looking to further my knowledge. I don't wanna pay 9 grand to be painfully under qualified when I get there
Hi! I would strongly recommend you to have a look at SAE Institue! It offers a 2-Year degree in Audio Production. The university is very well known in the industry as the working ethics and experience that you will learn are very high quality. I have just finished the degree and I started with basic knowledge on Live Sound but didn't know how to properly use a DAW and working in the studio. The fact that it's a 2-year course makes everything great: you'll learn the real-life experience of being in a fast-paced environment and always working on something, as well as having a lot of hands-on practice time with the equipment (You'll also safe that extra 9k by the degree not being 3 years). Although the course is mainly focused in studio recording, mixing, and mastering, you can also choose electives such as electronic music production, live sound, sound for games/films... which will make your experience at uni more interesting and you'll finish with a lot of expertise in different fields in the Audio Industry.

You can check the studios and equipment in the virtual campus tour. There are four campuses in the UK: London, Liverpool, Glasgow and Oxford.

I hope this helps,
Claus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads