Scidooz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm a female Australian student (UK dual national) wanting to study Medicine or Natural Sciences at Cambridge starting 2022. Due to COVID we can't leave (let alone return to) Australia until at least next July and probably longer, so open days 2021 looking very unlikely. So very genuine question about colleges. My priorities are 1 reasonably academic as I'm quite studious and academic (though it's Cambridge, so . . .), 2 guaranteed college accommodation all three years, and in college itself at least in first and third years then close to college in second year (just easier/more reliable with being overseas student and me possibly locked out of Oz/family possibly locked in there for who knows how long) and ability to stay in room over the two short vacs a bonus (though I can go to grandparents in UK so not essential) and even a room ballot for high grades would be good, 3 pretty grounds to hang out/study in, 4 not too far out because female walking home in dark etc etc and ideally closer to med/science 5 pretty/grounds more important than nearby shops 6 sporty (i.e. social hockey, touch footie teams etc not best male rugby team), friendly and relaxed social culture rather than partying hard and drinking. Am thinking Christ's, Peterhouse, St Catz or Corpus Christi (actually looks pretty good but seems to score low for lifestyle), but they are all probably very hard to get into because higher on Tompkins Table, so maybe Emmanuel, King's, Sidney, Jesus, Magdalen or St. John's?Though I don't think they all guarantee accomodation. With no ability t o visit, I think you out there will be more honest and useful than a few virtual tours! Any genuine advice gratefully received.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scidooz)
I'm a female Australian student (UK dual national) wanting to study Medicine or Natural Sciences at Cambridge starting 2022. Due to COVID we can't leave (let alone return to) Australia until at least next July and probably longer, so open days 2021 looking very unlikely. So very genuine question about colleges. My priorities are 1 reasonably academic as I'm quite studious and academic (though it's Cambridge, so . . .), 2 guaranteed college accommodation all three years, and in college itself at least in first and third years then close to college in second year (just easier/more reliable with being overseas student and me possibly locked out of Oz/family possibly locked in there for who knows how long) and ability to stay in room over the two short vacs a bonus (though I can go to grandparents in UK so not essential) and even a room ballot for high grades would be good, 3 pretty grounds to hang out/study in, 4 not too far out because female walking home in dark etc etc and ideally closer to med/science 5 pretty/grounds more important than nearby shops 6 sporty (i.e. social hockey, touch footie teams etc not best male rugby team), friendly and relaxed social culture rather than partying hard and drinking. Am thinking Christ's, Peterhouse, St Catz or Corpus Christi (actually looks pretty good but seems to score low for lifestyle), but they are all probably very hard to get into because higher on Tompkins Table, so maybe Emmanuel, King's, Sidney, Jesus, Magdalen or St. John's?Though I don't think they all guarantee accomodation. With no ability t o visit, I think you out there will be more honest and useful than a few virtual tours! Any genuine advice gratefully received.
Here is the Cambridge Demystified chapter about colleges:

With a bit of information.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...e%20Demystifie

I doubt very much that St John's or king's is easier comparatively to get into...and all of them will be highly academic

I can personally vouch for Newnham (all women) college for its lovely grounds, bit a bit further out from all the action. Lovely rooms as well. And just think, no competition to get in from the men!

https://www.newn.cam.ac.uk/about/gardens/
Scidooz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you. I have younger twin brothers and they aren't so bad , and having been to a girls' school since Year 3 (and having friends there who don't actually identify as female) I think it's high time I lived and worked in a more gender-and-gender-identity-balanced environment. The link looks really useful (different than one I have seen before comparing Cambridge colleges) and I will take a proper look at it now. Thank you.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scidooz)
As I understand it from an Aus student in the PG thread, overseas travel for education/university is an exception to the Aus travel restrictions. All Colleges will allow you to stay in College if you have nowhere else you can go during a lockdown. All they have been saying is that for practical and safety reasons, you will probably have to move buildings/rooms in College, and that might be without the usual warning times because of the speed of implementation of Govt restrictions.
Scidooz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
As I understand it from an Aus student in the PG thread, overseas travel for education/university is an exception to the Aus travel restrictions. All Colleges will allow you to stay in College if you have nowhere else you can go during a lockdown. All they have been saying is that for practical and safety reasons, you will probably have to move buildings/rooms in College, and that might be without the usual warning times because of the speed of implementation of Govt restrictions.
Yes thanks they would let me travel to start uni but not to go to open days.
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just dropped my daughter off at Newnham. It's a beautiful college with a really supportive atmosphere. It ticks every box in your list.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
One of my friends is a current student at newnham. She absolutely loves it there!

Be happy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.84%
I'm not sure (5)
2.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (69)
35.2%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.53%
I'm not a current university student (86)
43.88%

Watched Threads