chaoyangtea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
One path I'm looking to go down is taking Psychology at Uni (I want to become a chartered psychologist one day). I'm only taking essay-based and humanities subjects at A-Level, while many top courses require one science from Maths/Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Psychology. I've found that some unis like a few Cambridge colleges, Bath, UWE and St. Andrews don't *require* any sciences at A-Level (Bath does say, however, that they recommend a combination of essay-based subjects and sciences) but I don't know if I'll be able to make it with mostly humanities subjects.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chaoyangtea)
One path I'm looking to go down is taking Psychology at Uni (I want to become a chartered psychologist one day). I'm only taking essay-based and humanities subjects at A-Level, while many top courses require one science from Maths/Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Psychology. I've found that some unis like a few Cambridge colleges, Bath, UWE and St. Andrews don't *require* any sciences at A-Level (Bath does say, however, that they recommend a combination of essay-based subjects and sciences) but I don't know if I'll be able to make it with mostly humanities subjects.
Hi!

If you're in your first year of college is it possible for you to change subjects? If not I would contact the admissions centres for the unis that you would like to apply for, because every uni is different. If they do allow you to join without taking a science, I would recommend reading some psychology books and go and ask a psychology teacher at your college for some guidance. Don't worry though, as the uni you do attend will most likely start from scratch about psychology, as I know this happened to a couple of my friends that study psychology.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some universities don't require it, so you will just need to look around to see what options are available without them. I would say though I think Cambridge is probably unlikely without a science A-level, even if in principle some colleges don't require it. Psychology there used to be primarily embedded within the natural sciences degree and the course is fairly scientifically oriented as a result, however the more neuroscience-y papers I believe are optional (but one or more may be needed to be taken to obtain a BPS accredited degree). Note that the Oxford Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics degree can lead to a BPS accredited degree (provided you take and pass certain papers) and I don't believe requires a particular background. You only have to take two of the three areas as well (so could just focus on psychology and linguistics if philosophy wasn't appealing).

In terms of preparation for when you are actually on the degree, you just need to be aware that on any BPS accredited degree there will be a moderate amount of biological psychology and experimental work involved, and a fair bit of statistics. So you should be prepared for that eventuality, although if the course doesn't require or expect any STEM A-levels then they shouldn't presuppose any background in that kind of work. Noodlzzz might be able to advise on the scientific content of a typical BPS accredited degree and how well one may be able to cope with that if they don't have any background in those areas beyond GCSE?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey chaoyangtea,

The University of Reading offers psychology (which is accredited by the British psychological society) and I've had a look and there is no specification that you must have a science (but those with science subjects are given some preference). You can find this info here https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...sychology.aspx . I would say email admissions and see if they would accept the subjects you are taking?

I hope this helps you and feel free to message if you have any questions?
From,

Amina 😊
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what are your subjects? i did psychology, sociology and history and am now on a psychology course. my uni required a “science” subject and luckily they classed psychology as a science.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Some universities don't require it, so you will just need to look around to see what options are available without them. I would say though I think Cambridge is probably unlikely without a science A-level, even if in principle some colleges don't require it. Psychology there used to be primarily embedded within the natural sciences degree and the course is fairly scientifically oriented as a result, however the more neuroscience-y papers I believe are optional (but one or more may be needed to be taken to obtain a BPS accredited degree). Note that the Oxford Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics degree can lead to a BPS accredited degree (provided you take and pass certain papers) and I don't believe requires a particular background. You only have to take two of the three areas as well (so could just focus on psychology and linguistics if philosophy wasn't appealing).

In terms of preparation for when you are actually on the degree, you just need to be aware that on any BPS accredited degree there will be a moderate amount of biological psychology and experimental work involved, and a fair bit of statistics. So you should be prepared for that eventuality, although if the course doesn't require or expect any STEM A-levels then they shouldn't presuppose any background in that kind of work. Noodlzzz might be able to advise on the scientific content of a typical BPS accredited degree and how well one may be able to cope with that if they don't have any background in those areas beyond GCSE?
Um I did psych at UCL with only psych as my STEM A-level. It did make the course a bit harder, but I think the opposite is all true for those who hadn't taken any essay based subjects. They teach from the beginning at very much a level playing field, I wouldn't worry too much. You may struggle to get into the top unis though for psych with few STEM subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise