The Student Room Group

Wattpad Personal Statement

I'm currently writing my personal statement for a degree in English Language and Creative Writing. I was wondering if it would be wise to add that I have written a book on Wattpad that has garnered over 100,000 views, or if that would have more negative connotations than anything else. Bear in mind, the story is about a teacher student relationship (hence why I cant ask my teachers for advice lol) and although neither were underage, it's still taboo and there is the possibility that my current teachers may find it as they have to proof read my personal statement.
Original post by amyowlett
I'm currently writing my personal statement for a degree in English Language and Creative Writing. I was wondering if it would be wise to add that I have written a book on Wattpad that has garnered over 100,000 views, or if that would have more negative connotations than anything else. Bear in mind, the story is about a teacher student relationship (hence why I cant ask my teachers for advice lol) and although neither were underage, it's still taboo and there is the possibility that my current teachers may find it as they have to proof read my personal statement.

Hi!

I would personally say it depends on what university you are applying for and what they look for in personal statements. If your book is already out there for the public to read then there's a good chance that universities might see this anyways. You could always just mention the book without going into detail, as it seems very relevant to your course. It might be worth researching the unis you are applying to and see what their take is about how open they are about subjects like your book, for example look at their reading lists.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I would personally say it depends on what university you are applying for and what they look for in personal statements. If your book is already out there for the public to read then there's a good chance that universities might see this anyways. You could always just mention the book without going into detail, as it seems very relevant to your course. It might be worth researching the unis you are applying to and see what their take is about how open they are about subjects like your book, for example look at their reading lists.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Great, thank you!!

It is under a pseudonym, and i'm thinking of Royal Holloway or Bristol, but i'll have a look at their reading lists now! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending