ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I have this question where it says what happens when this organic compound reacts with excess Aqueous sodium carbonate but I’m not sure. If someone can help me out that would be great!
Last edited by ArtmisKco; 3 weeks ago
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  98.4 KB
Attached files
Last edited by ArtmisKco; 3 weeks ago
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Hoop!
vyper47
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The COOH on the right and the phenol OH on the top left react. Some carbon dioxide bubbles will be seen
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Hi, I have this question where it says what happens when this organic compound reacts with excess Aqueous sodium carbonate but I’m not sure. If someone can help me out that would be great!
Identify the functional groups, work out whether they react with a metal carbonate and then what would form.
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Yeh that’s the thing. I don’t know. I know that phenols don’t react with weak based but the carboxylic acid does which makes ONa. It’s the COOH (no double bonds) that I have no clue on
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeh that’s the thing. I don’t know. I know that phenols don’t react with weak based but the carboxylic acid does which makes ONa. It’s the COOH (no double bonds) that I have no clue on
Assuming you mean the OH in the top right corner (assuming your diagram were the right way up), what is the name of that functional group?

If you want me to reply to you, it is best that you reply to me and it'll appear in my alerts.
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Assuming you mean the OH in the top right corner (assuming your diagram were the right way up), what is the name of that functional group?

If you want me to reply to you, it is best that you reply to me and it'll appear in my alerts.

Well I know it’s an alcohol but I’m not sure whether it does react with sodium carbonate or not
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well I know it’s an alcohol but I’m not sure whether it does react with sodium carbonate or not
Alcohols don't react with acid or alkali.
vyper47
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Isn't the phenolic -OH on the top left a bit more acidic than usual? Does that react? (I'm sure that the one in the isopropyl chain bottom left doesn't react, the top one seems plausible)
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I asked my teacher today and he said it does, that’s why I’m really confused because I also thought it doesn’t?
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I asked my teacher today and he said it does, that’s why I’m really confused because I also thought it doesn’t?
Na2CO3 will happily react with the carboxylic acid group. Phenols are acidic, but will not react with Na2CO3 - it is not a strong enough base. Alcohols definitely don't react with weak alkalis.
vyper47
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Na2CO3 will happily react with the carboxylic acid group. Phenols are acidic, but will not react with Na2CO3 - it is not a strong enough base. Alcohols definitely don't react with weak alkalis.
Aha! Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.28%
I'm not sure (8)
2.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.22%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (137)
45.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed