Janejaco
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Considering applying to
Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Cardiff, Leicester medicine school and I would like comments on placements(hospitals, transportation, accomodation, hrs of traveling).
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Janejaco)
Considering applying to
Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Cardiff, Leicester medicine school and I would like comments on placements(hospitals, transportation, accomodation, hrs of traveling).
It's going to be a huge thread with lots of comments if you get people replying, as this is just an open question regarding several med schools.

What has your research told you so far?

I can answer 2 of your med schools above in detail and 2 in less detail. I don't know anything about Cardiff.

I don't have time to type out every hospital and my reviews on their accommodation for the ones I know. Any more specific questions?
Janejaco
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
It's going to be a huge thread with lots of comments if you get people replying, as this is just an open question regarding several med schools.

What has your research told you so far?

I can answer 2 of your med schools above in detail and 2 in less detail. I don't know anything about Cardiff.

I don't have time to type out every hospital and my reviews on their accommodation for the ones I know. Any more specific questions?
Just your general comments for the ones you know would be appreciated. Positive or negative
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Janejaco)
Just your general comments for the ones you know would be appreciated. Positive or negative
I have not heard anything (seriously) negative about Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham or Leicester personally. Obviously all universities have their supporters and people who don't like them.

The only significant difference that I can spot from this list is that Nottingham will give you a "free" BMedSci (in terms of time and money) along with your MBBS, so that could sway your decision because that's an extra couple of application points when you apply to specialty. Note that it's not worth as much as a full intercalated degree - but then that comes at a cost of a year's time and extra year's tuition fee.

Otherwise all med degrees are the same, and really you should pick according to teaching styles (PBL vs integrated), location, student satisfaction, your own stats (GCSE, UCAT etc.). Liverpool is very UCAT heavy this year.

Also, read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=812998 - may not be too updated but will be a good start.
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (157)
44.23%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.27%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.17%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (75)
21.13%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.58%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.63%

Watched Threads