JonnyyCarrr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
In my final year of medical school in the UK. Although there are aspects of medicine that appeal to me overall I don't think that I enjoy these enough to make up for the stress and bureaucracy of the job. I am thinking of pursuing a second undergraduate degree in something entirely different. Just wondering whether anyone knows what happens once your provisional GMC registration runs out after 3 years? Does this mean you are unable to practice medicine ever again or are you able to return after sitting exams again? Thanks very much for any advice, haven't made up my mind yet and this is quite an important factor
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JonnyyCarrr)
Hi,
In my final year of medical school in the UK. Although there are aspects of medicine that appeal to me overall I don't think that I enjoy these enough to make up for the stress and bureaucracy of the job. I am thinking of pursuing a second undergraduate degree in something entirely different. Just wondering whether anyone knows what happens once your provisional GMC registration runs out after 3 years? Does this mean you are unable to practice medicine ever again or are you able to return after sitting exams again? Thanks very much for any advice, haven't made up my mind yet and this is quite an important factor
https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...r-registration

I think it'd be similar to this:

If I choose to give up my registration, can I get it back in the future?

Yes. You will need to apply for restoration. You can choose whether to restore with or without a licence to practise. You can find out more on our restoration guide.
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...r-registration

I think it'd be similar to this:

If I choose to give up my registration, can I get it back in the future?

Yes. You will need to apply for restoration. You can choose whether to restore with or without a licence to practise. You can find out more on our restoration guide.
The provisional licence is different to the full licence. It has a time limit! If you relinquish your registration you can choose to restart it. However, it lasts for only 3 years and 30 days as a provisional licence, and if you dont ‘stop the clock’ and it runs out of time, that’s it, youre done.
https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...l-registration
I would strongly suggest you have come this far, do F1 get a full licence before you give up.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by HHaricot)
The provisional licence is different to the full licence. It has a time limit! If you relinquish your registration you can choose to restart it. However, it lasts for only 3 years and 30 days as a provisional licence, and if you dont ‘stop the clock’ and it runs out of time, that’s it, youre done.
https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...l-registration
I would strongly suggest you have come this far, do F1 get a full licence before you give up.
:ta: Every day is a school day!
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
:ta: Every day is a school day!
it is a bit of a killer change the gmc added a number of years ago to the provisional licence, and there are a few ‘near misses’ with provisional licences every year...
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JonnyyCarrr)
Hi,
I would encourage you to stay on and continue practising Medicine, purely because it's well-paid enough for you to support yourself through doing another degree should you choose to do so. You could complete FY2 and just do locum SHO shifts alongside your studying - you'll have more than enough to live on and put money into savings. I agree with what's mentioned above: don't let the time limit on your provisional registration run out cos you'll end up closing the door on Medicine when in fact you can leave it open by just working full-time as a doctor for 2 years or so. Better to keep your options open for returning to Medicine later in life, rather than burning bridges right?
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TSR is such a golden source of information!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (216)
56.54%
I don't have everything I need (166)
43.46%

Watched Threads