asses the extent to which rates of coastal recession and stability depend on litho

Watch
Lmcconachie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
assess the extent to which rates of coastal recession and stability depend on lithology.

this is geography Edexcel a level (can you guys help with the question), you need to evaluate. points may include lithology, geological structure, sub-arail processes, high and low energy waves and vegetation.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For this type of essay you need to consider the relative impact of the different features of the coastline that you would mention upon rates of coastal erosion whilst linking the general idea of your points together, and then come up with an overall judgement / argument about which is the most important factor. Some important general themes to cover include the scale, and the spatiality and temporality of the erosion. Are you referring to constant wave energy being exerted upon cliffs, or an infrequent landslide event displacing a large amount of rock material.

Lithology is the physical characteristics of the rocks, so consider the potential erosional vulnerability of hardrock vs softrock, which also relates to the type of waves present at that coastline. Destructive waves have more energy, and so will erode softrock faster. You could talk about porous rocks that water can percolate through which are vulnerable to freeze-thaw cycles and mechanical weathering (and other subaerial processes) as another mechanism compared to marine erosion. Compare and contrast this to marine erosion. Vegetation or other biological weathering agents such as tree roots or burrowing animals can also contribute to erosion, but this is more at a specific / localised scale.

Of course you can expand on the points I've made, add more of your own, and use case-study specific location / detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.35%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.69%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.6%

Watched Threads