Apprenticeships for animal related jobs

Watch
floppyfish
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’d love to be a vet but the idea of staying in education for an extra 5 years stresses me out. In general I’d say I’m a decent student (predicted mostly 6s and 7s for GCSEs) and I’m planning om doing A-levels. I’d love to do an apprenticeship but I’m still not sure how they work.
Do you do them during or after uni?
Is it possible to become a fully qualified vet through an apprenticeship?
Are there any other animal/ecology jobs you can get through an apprenticeship?
Littleemma98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by floppyfish)
I’d love to be a vet but the idea of staying in education for an extra 5 years stresses me out. In general I’d say I’m a decent student (predicted mostly 6s and 7s for GCSEs) and I’m planning om doing A-levels. I’d love to do an apprenticeship but I’m still not sure how they work.
Hi
Have you looked into this at all and see if any vet practices can take you on as a apprentice which would allow you to study at college/university and work in the vet practice part-time as well.
Its can be possible to become a vet via the apprenticeship but you'll need to get yourself work in a established vet practice before you able to do this ok.

There's nothing wrong doing another five years education because I just did 4 years at university and at a vet practice for veterinary nursing which I passed recently and I'm now back at university doing another 3 years for nursing so 5 years isn't nothing compare to 7 for me .
pixxies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by floppyfish)
Hey!
You can’t become a veterinary surgeon though an apprenticeship. You can become a veterinary nurse and veterinary care assistant through one though
You can do an apprenticeship before or after your A-levels. You can do one even if you have a degree. Most animal apprenticeships work in the idea that you get yourself in as a basic employee (animal care assistant) for a short period of time and then they will support you through your training afterwards.
I know that all of the vets I work with LOVED their time at uni and would love to go back, but obviously it’s still a hard degree to do.
I’m aware that there are other jobs such as a welfare assistant or equine related jobs etc through an apprenticeship, but you’d have to research these more. Maybe look at the college of animal welfare website if you’re in the UK?
Last edited by pixxies; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads