Flu jab 2020

Watch
Turtle28224
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. So I have been isolating as I’m more vulnerable. I have heard about flu jabs for vulnerable people but I am so scared of needles. I think Im going to get it but first how much does it hurt and is it worth the risk of going to the hospital because it doesn’t help with COVID? I have also been told that I’d I do get COVID I’m most likely to be severely ill or even die from it.
Pelola
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! If you can recall a prior vaccine, it is on a similar pain wavelength. It is less painful than the skin prick for the BCG vaccine. Do you like music? Play your favourite music, do a breathing exercise. Just don't look, heck close your eyes before the needle goes in. You have to trick your mind first. Given that winter season = slightly compromised immune system for the average joe, definitely get the vaccine. It is not 100%, but if you contract flu and then Covid-19 it will be harder to deal with. I don't mean to scare you, but I had severe coronavirus symptoms and was almost hospitalised. My asthma is exacerbated by exercise and infection. I have had moderate to severe flu symptoms but vaccination usually works. The hospital staff should have Covid secure procedures in place. Prevention is better than cure. Increasing your vitamin intake through food and supplements. Manuka honey is expensive but has various health benefits (preferably MGO 70+).
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not getting my flu jab at a hospital, it's at my local pharmacy.

It will hurt a little, but in the long run it's better to have that, than to get the flu and need to go to hospital, possibly get COVID whilst you're there, etc.

I am/have been shielding as well, and have a needle phobia (although it's better than it was!). You can do this!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Turtle28224)
Hi. So I have been isolating as I’m more vulnerable. I have heard about flu jabs for vulnerable people but I am so scared of needles. I think Im going to get it but first how much does it hurt and is it worth the risk of going to the hospital because it doesn’t help with COVID? I have also been told that I’d I do get COVID I’m most likely to be severely ill or even die from it.
Almost painless (a minor skin prick) and your local chemist will almost certainly do it - no need for a hospital visit.
Turtle28224
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pelola)
Hey! If you can recall a prior vaccine, it is on a similar pain wavelength. It is less painful than the skin prick for the BCG vaccine. Do you like music? Play your favourite music, do a breathing exercise. Just don't look, heck close your eyes before the needle goes in. You have to trick your mind first. Given that winter season = slightly compromised immune system for the average joe, definitely get the vaccine. It is not 100%, but if you contract flu and then Covid-19 it will be harder to deal with. I don't mean to scare you, but I had severe coronavirus symptoms and was almost hospitalised. My asthma is exacerbated by exercise and infection. I have had moderate to severe flu symptoms but vaccination usually works. The hospital staff should have Covid secure procedures in place. Prevention is better than cure. Increasing your vitamin intake through food and supplements. Manuka honey is expensive but has various health benefits (preferably MGO 70+).
Thanks so much 🥰
Turtle28224
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=ghostwalker;91259372]Almost painless (a minor skin prick) and your local chemist will almost certainly do it - no need for a hospital.

Thanks, I’ve booked in now ❤️❤️
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Flu jabs are painless, not quite understanding why you need to go to hospital to get it done?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had my done the other week it didnt hurt at all even as he was putting the needle in. I was expecting a sore arm for a few days after but at most the small injection site felt like a very minor bruise.
Its worth it to get it, i had flu last November and it was awful :sadnod: also if you are working, at school etc you dont want to have to take time off getting tested for corona if you have flu symptoms that are similar to covid
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Barely any pain at all, i had mine stood up with as much distance as possible at my GP, I had 2 days of a sore arm this time but that was it.
Turtle28224
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
I'm not getting my flu jab at a hospital, it's at my local pharmacy.

It will hurt a little, but in the long run it's better to have that, than to get the flu and need to go to hospital, possibly get COVID whilst you're there, etc.

I am/have been shielding as well, and have a needle phobia (although it's better than it was!). You can do this!
Aww thx so much 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads