The Student Room Group

I’m doubting myself for medicine

I’ve got into medicine but it seems like now I can take a breather after constantly working hard to get in but I’ve become insecure or was and didn’t realise.

I am well aware of what medicine entails and the responsibilities. I truly thought throughout the process I was able ,but now that I’ve actually got the real deal I feel like I’m not good enough to be handling peoples lives. That responsibility scares me currently.

Especially with this years grades fiasco I feel like I’m undeserving of my current place.

All of this insecurity and fear of what is to come has really put me off medicine and I’m considering transferring after first year or pursuing something else

Am I being irrational?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve got into medicine but it seems like now I can take a breather after constantly working hard to get in but I’ve become insecure or was and didn’t realise.

I am well aware of what medicine entails and the responsibilities. I truly thought throughout the process I was able ,but now that I’ve actually got the real deal I feel like I’m not good enough to be handling peoples lives. That responsibility scares me currently.

Especially with this years grades fiasco I feel like I’m undeserving of my current place.

All of this insecurity and fear of what is to come has really put me off medicine and I’m considering transferring after first year or pursuing something else

Am I being irrational?

Where's the responsibility? Who's asking you to handle people's lives? You're in the first month of first year, don't stress.

Take some deep breaths, you're going to be fine. You have five or six years at uni and even after that there is still a lot more to learn and lots of time to learn it.

People have agency over their own lives, being a doctor is not the same as being a deity. You have a professional responsibility towards your future patients (years from now), not a personal responsibility. Medical school and work will train you for this.

Millions have trodden this path before you. The odds are very much in your favour.
Regarding the gardes fiasco/feeling undersving of your place - I was rejected by my med school post interview, then got a late offer via email in June, and then one results day was a grade off! But still got in. Felt like an idiot and like it was all some big mistake, but here I am now, big grown up FY2!

The beginning is daunting but don’t worry, your med school will train you up a bit at a time and all of a sudden you’re looking back and seeing how far you’ve come.
I would second what has been written above.

You are in first year - you will be taught most of what you need to know over the next 5 or 6 years. You literally have years and years to learn and, when you become an FY1, people will not expect you to “save lives” by yourself. Being a doctor means that you are part of team. And even when you start as a doctor, there will be plenty of senior doctors and nurses who are more experienced than you, who you can escalate problems to, and who will help you.

Be confident in your own abilities. People have different strengths in med school. Almost everybody makes it through med school. The best doctors were not necessarily the most academic med students.

Take your time. Grow at your own pace and enjoy med school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending