The Student Room Group

I want to move back home to do my FY training

This might sound very stupid and naive of me but I’ve started med and I am not enjoying living away from home. I’m from a culture where it’s expected I live with my family and tbh I’m fine it’s that, I enjoy my family and they’ve been great support for my mental health.

So I’m looking to finish my med degree and move back home (London) to do my FY

I’ve just learnt that this might be possible as London is a competitive place for FY training.

My heart kind of dropped into my stomach because even though I hated living away I was comforted by the idea that I could move back home at the end of it all.

Can someone tell me what is the reality of it all?

For me, no matter what, I will be moving back.

Please don’t insult in the replies or tell me to grow up, I have my own personal reasons.
Reply 1
*this might not be possible
Yep, agree south Thames, or even some of EBH is commutable if you are in north london.
Don’t stress about it at the moment tho, you have loads of time, and TBH who says you arent going to be competitive for london anyway?
When I started med school (whole different country of the UK than where I was from, didn’t get into my local one) I was dead set on going back home for FY, and over the years I had mental health struggles and yes it is hard being away from family at times like that, and it’s a completely valid reason to aim to move home.

However I decided to stay in the area local to my med school (I found the thought of being in a familiar hospital less anxiety provoking), and part of the reason I was able to do that was because over the years I learnt how to be away from my family and strategies for coping.

I guess my point is try not to worry yourself about it too much, you’ll probably be a very different person by the time you graduate! And of course if you get to that point and still want to be near family that’s okay too, like ecolier said, there’s deaneries close to london if you don’t get a london one.
Are you first year? Very clearly too early to tell if so!

It's not guaranteed but most people could scrape into the last job in say South Thames if they wanted it. It's hard to comment as the selection process might be different by then, but if you do well at med school that will give you extra protection.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
X

This should be more motivation to do well in medical school, focus!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending