Why do people start Uni when they're in their 20s?

Watch
Llllloos
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just want to know why .. like in the 1st year there are sometimes 23, 24 year olds etc.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Llllloos)
Just want to know why .. like in the 1st year there are sometimes 23, 24 year olds etc.
Why not? You're never too old to learn.

People may have wanted to work when they were younger, their circumstances may not have allowed them to study, they may want to advance in their careers etc. etc. I could think of many more reasons

#nowrongpath
Llllloos
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Why not? You're never too old to learn.

People may have wanted to work when they were younger, their circumstances may not have allowed them to study, they may want to advance in their careers etc. etc. I could think of many more reasons

#nowrongpath
ok
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally I changed career in my early 30's, why wouldn't I want to go to uni?
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm 32 and started this year doing nursing. When I'm qualified I'll be 36
It's only 18 years in of my working life when I finished and still another 30+ to go, so why shouldn't I be able to have a good career that I love and get paid well for instead of doing low-skilled and low paid jobs?
Last edited by MedicWil; 2 weeks ago
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
why op are you in your 20's considering going to uni but hesistating because you think ur too old
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mainly because the career I am in does not have a future.
alex282
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
20 is far too late to start uni I dont see the point in starting so late, graduating at 23 and then only having 47 years of working in that career (assuming pension age doesn't go above 70)
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by alex282)
20 is far too late to start uni I dont see the point in starting so late, graduating at 23 and then only having 47 years of working in that career (assuming pension age doesn't go above 70)
true
alex282
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
On a serious note people can go to uni at any age even in their 40s or 50s because they still have a lot of years left to work. Also for the life experience instead of doing the same job forever
auvvi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't get the logic here at all...
auvvi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're really judging people rn? Lmao you must think you're perfect.
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
University and higher education isn’t exclusively for direct school leavers at 18. Some choose to go to university at 20, others at 40. I’d welcome anyone who’s wanting to better themselves and their education. I also tend to find that a bit of life experience goes a long way with returning or attempting higher education at a ‘later’ age.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So that they're less likely to sign an accommodation contract, decide that they want it, start a course, switch universities, try to switch back, change subjects, fail exams, swap back, repeat a year (or two), switch degrees again, and complain that it's all the universities' fault?!

Some people want career changes, so do another degree. Some enjoy thinking and learning - a guy in his seventies started with me.
Fartershop
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by alex282)
:confused:

It's only a two year delay out of 40+. Also, with this ****ing virus the world decided to let loose, it's likely you'll see even older adults from dead industries start classes to change careers (see earlier posts).
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Because I had the opportunities available to me at 23 that I lacked when I was 18, and I wanted to go to university, so I did it.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ask them! There could be many reasons. e.g wanting work experience or money before going to uni. Or topping up A level grades or other qualifications first. Or just simply wanting to grow up and mature a bit before committing to uni work?
Anonnorth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When i was at university there was a Japanese man doing English degree who was in his 70's ... was there because he liked learning new things all the time.
AcseI
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by auvvi)
Doesn't sound like they're judging people at all. They just observed that some first years are in their early twenties and wondered why. They've not indicated there's a problem with this. Don't jump to conclusions.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by auvvi)
?? it was just a fair question !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (188)
29.24%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.02%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.93%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.91%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.11%

Watched Threads