The Student Room Group

Biology Alevel taxon meaning

How do I explain to someone what taxon means but in easy to understand words¿
Original post by xppxdd666
How do I explain to someone what taxon means but in easy to understand words¿

Hey, a taxon is basically a group of one or more populations of organisms that are considered as a unit. The best way to grasp it even further is to work with examples. For example, you can say a group of organisms that belong to the same species are a taxon, let's like humans. Humans belong to the same taxon at the species level of classification. I hope that helps. Hmu for more solutions when stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by Kenn Scott
Hey, a taxon is basically a group of one or more populations of organisms that are considered as a unit. The best way to grasp it even further is to work with examples. For example, you can say a group of organisms that belong to the same species are a taxon, let's like humans. Humans belong to the same taxon at the species level of classification. I hope that helps. Hmu for more solutions when stuck.

hi, so would you say that a taxon is just a species i.e. humans, dolphins etc¿
hi, so would you say that a taxon is just a species i.e. humans, dolphins etc¿

We could only say humans and dolphins are in a similar taxon at the class level (that is mammalian). At the order level, humans and chimpanzees belong to the same taxon.
We could only say humans and dolphins are in a similar taxon at the class level (that is mammalian). At the order level, humans and chimpanzees belong to the same taxon.

Rem species are the organisms that can interbreed and give rise to fertile offsprings. Since humans cannot interbreed with dolphins, we cannot consider them as a taxon. But this only applies to the species level. At the class level, both humans and dolphins are mammals and thus at this classification unit, we can say that they belong to the same taxon, but never at the species level.
Reply 5
Rem species are the organisms that can interbreed and give rise to fertile offsprings. Since humans cannot interbreed with dolphins, we cannot consider them as a taxon. But this only applies to the species level. At the class level, both humans and dolphins are mammals and thus at this classification unit, we can say that they belong to the same taxon, but never at the species level.

so is the taxon just the names of the hierarchy (kingdom, phylum etc)¿
so is the taxon just the names of the hierarchy (kingdom, phylum etc)¿

Yeah, that's right.
Reply 7
Yeah, that's right.

turns out I did not fully understand it.. well shout out to my bio teacher.. THANK YOU
turns out I did not fully understand it.. well shout out to my bio teacher.. THANK YOU

taxon.PNG
taxon.PNG

check that image out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending