sultangopi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is earning 70k at 31 years good in terms of comparisons within the UK. Do people think that salary is enough for a couple/family
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In 2019, the median salary was £30,420 (per person) , and you’re over double that- so I’d say you’re in a pretty good position
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At least £600,000 per week after tax or you're a peasant
sultangopi
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
In 2019, the median salary was £30,420 (per person) , and you’re over double that- so I’d say you’re in a pretty good position
Thanks Laura what do you think in terms of maintaining family
sultangopi
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
At least £600,000 per week after tax or you're a peasant
I was asking generally as I couldnt work out how 70k is in comparison. I do wonder if 70k would be good in London?
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sultangopi)
I’m afraid I don’t know much about that, might be worth a google
RtheBotanist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Most families are on less than this and get by fine. My household is on under 20k in total, and we get by tolerably but without luxury. Nobody needs a whole lot more than 70k anyway, though I'm not sure how much a place like London would diminish it via increased living and accommodation costs.
sultangopi
Rep:
?
(Original post by RtheBotanist)
Most families are on less than this and get by fine. My household is on under 20k in total, and we get by tolerably but without luxury. Nobody needs a whole lot more than 70k anyway, though I'm not sure how much a place like London would diminish it via increased living and accommodation costs.
Wow maintenance of family with 20k total? That's impressive.
RtheBotanist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow maintenance of family with 20k total? That's impressive.
Only my mum and I until I leave for uni, to be fair. She's in work and I work a few hours a week to cover a some small costs of my own. We also claim universal credit. Even a modest lifestyle with this kind of income really doesn't help you save any significant amounts of money, creating tremendous insecurity when the car, oven etc. stop working or the housing association hit us with a massive bill after undercharging very slightly for months. Hopefully while I'm at university surviving on part time work, a student loan and a bursary for low-income folk, she can save enough to have even a modicum of financial security.

We eat and consume fairly ethically, and I've had plenty of opportunities, but often the wider family has to help out, and I wouldn't use my tolerable lifestyle as justification for any country keeping its citizens on such a low income. 70k is a far more reasonable value, and I'm sure it's actually significantly higher than necessary. In a better regulated and fairer housing market, predatory landlords and ridiculously large mortgages wouldn't take up huge percentages of everybody's income, and we could get by with total comfort on currently very average wages.
LookAtHisEyes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was asking generally as I couldnt work out how 70k is in comparison. I do wonder if 70k would be good in London?
I don’t know much about supporting a family, but I’m 23 and earning 70k in London and it is certainly adequate. My rent and bills come to around £1500 a month which leaves around £2000 disposable.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s a great salary for relatively early in a career and absolutely enough to support a family in a comfortable if not extravagant way. Many couples have dual incomes below this and get by. The only proviso might be property prices, if you live in an exorbitant area and want to buy a reasonable home. Weigh up how much you need to save and spend to get the accommodation you want. If you have the prospect of further career development and additional income from a partner you are in a very good position.
.unknown
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LookAtHisEyes)
I don’t know much about supporting a family, but I’m 23 and earning 70k in London and it is certainly adequate. My rent and bills come to around £1500 a month which leaves around £2000 disposable.
What job do you do may l ask
Buddingdentist08
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is earning 70k at 31 years good in terms of comparisons within the UK. Do people think that salary is enough for a couple/family
Yes that’s good. Well done
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'll spend what you have to spend. Plenty of people raise families well on £25k household income. If you have more, you find things to spend it on that you start to consider essential.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Most people on here are students, who can only dream of this amount of wages. Even I, at my age can only dream of this.

What is your profession?
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Pfft thats what most people spend on their poodles a week.
sultangopi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Most people on here are students, who can only dream of this amount of wages. Even I, at my age can only dream of this.

What is your profession?
Healthcare
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends where you live and your total financial outgoing commitments!
sultangopi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zarek)
It’s a great salary for relatively early in a career and absolutely enough to support a family in a comfortable if not extravagant way. Many couples have dual incomes below this and get by. The only proviso might be property prices, if you live in an exorbitant area and want to buy a reasonable home. Weigh up how much you need to save and spend to get the accommodation you want. If you have the prospect of further career development and additional income from a partner you are in a very good position.
Would you say 31 is early in career?
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would you say 31 is early in career?
Depends on the career?! For a medic i suppose it would be later!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.45%
I'm not sure (32)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.31%
I'm not a current university student (358)
48.64%

Watched Threads