Lalas03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Considering Engineering as a career

Hi guys,

I’ll start of with a brief intro, I’m 25 with 3 GCSE’s and no A levels or any other forms of qualifications. I don’t have any particular subjects I’m really passionate about so the salary, job security, work/life balance aspects are pretty much the main points that I’m using to help me narrow down my options and if you do have other suggestions that meet the criteria besides this particular choice feel free to share them.

I want to hopefully hear from people like myself considering engineering as a career, people studying it and people who have graduated and can give me a realistic insight into the life of a engineer.

What kind of salaries can you expect to see within your first 5 years? What kind of opportunities are there for you to become self employed in this field? What is the job security like? What is the work/life balance like? Do you need to brown nose and play politics to progress your career?

Thanks for taking the time out to read my post and making the effort to respond!
Aminta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello, it's good to hear you're at least honest about why you want to pursue engineering! I'm not an engineer (about as far from it as you can get...) but I thought I'd pass on some advice for applying to courses and starting a career to use/ignore as you wish! As you have few qualifications, you could try an access course and/or some fast track online A levels to enable you to apply to degree courses - if nothing else, free MOOCs might at least give you a grounding in subject knowledge. Also never underestimate the impact of networking. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.54%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.92%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.85%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.69%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.85%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.23%

Watched Threads