Re-Apply after gap year? Watch

This discussion is closed.
starchybean
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hello,

Received my rejection letter from Keble a few hours ago. Since then I've been weighing and planning all my options. One of them is to re-apply to Oxford after doing a gap year. I'd apply back into PPE after doing some sort of internship with a prominent figure in national politics (or if anyone else has any suggestions for a gap year for a student interested in PPE, I'd love to hear them).

I have a few questions about this plan though:
Is this at all possible?
Is this typical for students who received a rejection?
How much would doing a gap year with a focused internship aid in a second application?
How would essays (which for this year had to be written in my various classes) work if not directly coming from a secondary school course?
Reccomendations?

Please don't think I'm some Oxford obsessed nutty who has nowhere else to go. I'm also considering my other universities (shown in my signature) as well as a few here in the states. I just wanted to hear if this is a possible option and figured this was the best place to go for advice and experience.

Thanks for your time.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by starchybean)
Hello,

Received my rejection letter from Keble a few hours ago. Since then I've been weighing and planning all my options. One of them is to re-apply to Oxford after doing a gap year. I'd apply back into PPE after doing some sort of internship with a prominent figure in national politics (or if anyone else has any suggestions for a gap year for a student interested in PPE, I'd love to hear them).

I have a few questions about this plan though:
Is this at all possible?
Is this typical for students who received a rejection?
How much would doing a gap year with a focused internship aid in a second application?
How would essays (which for this year had to be written in my various classes) work if not directly coming from a secondary school course?
Reccomendations?

Please don't think I'm some Oxford obsessed nutty who has nowhere else to go. I'm also considering my other universities (shown in my signature) as well as a few here in the states. I just wanted to hear if this is a possible option and figured this was the best place to go for advice and experience.

Thanks for your time.
It is very much possible. Lots of people do it every year, and their success rates are markedly higher than those applying whilst still in school. A relevant gap year course would certainly help show enthusiasm, though I'm not sure how directly relevant it'd be for a theoretical course like PPE. You could still send in essays from your current school year. Final year students often send essays from their penultimate year; it's rarely a problem.
starchybean
(Original post by H&E)
It is very much possible. Lots of people do it every year, and their success rates are markedly higher than those applying whilst still in school. A relevant gap year course would certainly help show enthusiasm, though I'm not sure how directly relevant it'd be for a theoretical course like PPE. You could still send in essays from your current school year. Final year students often send essays from their penultimate year; it's rarely a problem.
Interesting, thanks. Could you possibly suggest a place where I could find gap year ideas for PPE?

I figure I've already spent hours and hours applying to Oxford. One or two more looking at gap year possibilities won't be that outrageous.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
Its gonna cost u £3k/yr if u do that and the element of risk is still there!
He'll be paying international fees anyway...

And in response to the thread starter, yes it is very plausible, as long as you don't expect to a guaranteed acceptance, or base the success of your gap year solely on your Oxbridge application (i.e. you feel you would enjoy and learn from your gap year) than there is no reason why you shouldn't consider it.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, think about asking Keble for feedback so as to help you improve in whatever areas where lacking from your application this year.
canadianeh
Report 14 years ago
starchybean! you finally received news...a few hours ago? must be the mailing system or time difference..because mail came this morning at 10 and yup, nothing.
nothing.
starchybean
(Original post by kildare)
as long as you don't expect to a guaranteed acceptance, or base the success of your gap year solely on your Oxbridge application (i.e. you feel you would enjoy and learn from your gap year) than there is no reason why you shouldn't consider it.
Definitely, I would do the gap year for the educational aspect, more so than to aid a re-application to Oxford. Ever since I heard of the idea of the gap year, I've thought it should be pushed for here in the states. No one here seems to like the idea of taking a year off between secondary school and university to learn outside the classroom. It seems like a great opportunity we're all missing. I just didn't consider it until recently because it's so uncommon here.

(Original post by kildare)
Also, think about asking Keble for feedback so as to help you improve in whatever areas where lacking from your application this year.
Yep. I plan on it. No sense in getting rejected without learning as much as possible from the experience. Thanks for the advice.

(Original post by canadianeh)
starchybean! you finally received news...a few hours ago? must be the mailing system or time difference..because mail came this morning at 10 and yup, nothing.
nothing.
Yeah, I heard this morning. Actually, my dad almost broke my bedroom door down to wake me up and give me the letter. Not the best way to wake up, but the wait's over nonetheless. :hmpf: Good luck with your letter! I guess you'll have to wait 'til Monday, won't you?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do you not mean that you'd reapply during a gap year? Reapplying after a gap year would mean that you'd end up having two gap years.
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I say go for it. It was always my plan to re-apply if I didn't get in. I think the internship idea is great.

I have one question though: Do you do Maths? Are you any good at it? If not this may be the reason for your rejection. I say this because both my friend and I are obsessive political animals, we both do similar things and had very similar appliations when we applied to Oxford. We are also both rubbish at Maths. I got in and he didn't. The reason being the fact (I think) that he applied for PPE whereas I applied for Modern History and Politics. He really wanted to do ModHis/Pol as well but was discouraged by our school who said that statistically we stood more chance at PPE. I ignored them, he didn't and the Maths element scuppered him.

I'm saying this because because from your posts you sound more politically orientated than economically orientated (correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps you should consider MHP (if you like History) or even SPS at Cambridge depending on your feedback? Just a suggestion. However if you really want to do PPE and don't mind the Maths than I would say re-apply to a different college for the same.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Go for it - as already stated applying during gap has a high sucess rate at Oxford. I know several medics and peeps reading Human Sciences who did just that.

Good luck.

fx
PiranhaEx
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aleko)
I say go for it. It was always my plan to re-apply if I didn't get in. I think the internship idea is great.

I have one question though: Do you do Maths? Are you any good at it? If not this may be the reason for your rejection. I say this because both my friend and I are obsessive political animals, we both do similar things and had very similar appliations when we applied to Oxford. We are also both rubbish at Maths. I got in and he didn't. The reason being the fact (I think) that he applied for PPE whereas I applied for Modern History and Politics. He really wanted to do ModHis/Pol as well but was discouraged by our school who said that statistically we stood more chance at PPE. I ignored them, he didn't and the Maths element scuppered him.

I'm saying this because because from your posts you sound more politically orientated than economically orientated (correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps you should consider MHP (if you like History) or even SPS at Cambridge depending on your feedback? Just a suggestion. However if you really want to do PPE and don't mind the Maths than I would say re-apply to a different college for the same.
That's something that I didn't even think of, but would be a very good fit for me. What college was your offer from?
RObTRIP
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm on the same wavelength as you although I haven't been rejected yet.
ive applied mainly for mechanical engineering and now have acknowledged that my true passion is computer science. ive been thinking if i dont get in this year, i want to re-apply next year for comp sci everywhere including oxford. i just wanted to know do they use your last year's info on interview to look at you this year? does it affect your application in any way that you applied last year? even if you did bad at interviews? im guessing its a good idea to re-apply to a diff college right?
oxford students info please or else :secruity:

:aetsch:
:tsr: :p:
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PiranhaEx)
That's something that I didn't even think of, but would be a very good fit for me. What college was your offer from?
Corpus Christi. I must say I think that His/Pol is the course to do if you are into Politics but not Maths. The reason no-one has heard of it is because it's a new course, it doesn't yet have the high profile alumni that PPE has. Of course, you'd be better off talking to someone who has actually done the course, instead of me, as I am still in post-offer wonderland. But still, its worth a look.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Corpus is a beautiful, cute little Coll. Certainly one of my faves!

PS History and Politics isn;t that new - it's certainly already up and running...
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
PS History and Politics isn;t that new - it's certainly already up and running...
Its pretty darn new. Only 5 or 6 years I think. Not enough time for any alumni to become Prime Minister or anything!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
biut not that new! There are certianly graduates out their! and the fact that the course hasn't spouted a PM should be seen as a bonus - Blair is a Bar Gimp and Maggie wasn't exactly all that!
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
biut not that new! There are certianly graduates out their! and the fact that the course hasn't spouted a PM should be seen as a bonus - Blair is a Bar Gimp and Maggie wasn't exactly all that!
Blair didn't do PPE, he did Law I think, and yes he is a traitor to progressive politics (and no I'm not starting a political debate). As for the witch herself, she read Chemistry of all things! Which explains why she was so awful, she was actually denied an honourary degree from Oxford in 1985 because of her cuts to the education budget!

Having upset both Tories and Labour supporters I will retreat into my trench and wait to face the music (no points for guessing my political alleigence!)
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know he did law - I had the misforutune to meet him at an evening at my boyfriends Inn (Lincolns). Slimey git!
aleko
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know he did law - I had the misforutune to meet him at an evening at my boyfriends Inn (Lincolns). Slimey git!
Bliar Bliar pants on fire. But he is far from the worst there's been, Im sure we would have died for him to be PM while Maggie "Pinochet is a great democrat" Thatcher was on the throne.
starchybean
(Original post by aleko)

Well, I'm not really interested in simply maths, but I do find economics and economic philosophy very interesting. I think I did well on the economics part of the PPE exam; I'm going to send Keble an email though in the next coupld of days and see what they have to say about my test.

You're right though, I am more interested in politics. Would doing a very politically focused gap year be really beneficial or would it be better to combine economics in as well? I'm still interested in pursuing PPE over a history/politics degree.

(Original post by Alexander )
Do you not mean that you'd reapply during a gap year? Reapplying after a gap year would mean that you'd end up having two gap years.
Right, I meant re-apply during the gap year. That is how one does it, right?

A couple more questions, if you don't mind:
-Is there a good website I could check out to do a bit more research on politics, philosophy, and economic related gap year programs? It's so uncommon here in the states that I haven't been able to find any information on it and I know no one in the business.

-Some people who commented in this thread said the internship idea would be good for a political degree such as PPE (or the others that aleko mentioned as well) while some said an internship might not be theoretical enough as PPE is a theory based degree. Can anyone provide suggestions to something that might be more appropriate?

Thanks a lot for your time, everybody.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed