Studying what I don't love but find practical for life

Watch
Pastelka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey everyone. I'm in the last year of undergraduate accounting and financial analysis university program. I have chosen this path over another because I thought that having a degree from a field with a lot of job opportunities will make it easier for me in life, but I actually find myself kinda burned out. I'm not even sure whether I can make it through this last year, because I lack motivation and energy already. I'm now standing in front of a tough decision - do I continue what I have already chosen and be at risk of hating my job for the rest of my life, or do I pay more money now for a new university program that I would enjoy, but would put me at risk of not being able to find a job?All advices and insights much appreciated, thank you.
Aminta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I would do a degree you enjoy instead; if you end up in a job you hate that would be worse than having to search harder to find one in my opinion. Alternatively, could you take modules of your current course that are most appealing? That way you could be less burned out and have the same degree title at the end of it. Good luck whatever you choose!
Student-95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What job do you want to do? Most graduate jobs don't require a specific degree so you're not limited to accounting.
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I would finish it off if you're in the last year so at least you get something out of it, but maybe look for alternative options next year. What is it you would prefer to do?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Pastelka)
Hey everyone. I'm in the last year of undergraduate accounting and financial analysis university program. I have chosen this path over another because I thought that having a degree from a field with a lot of job opportunities will make it easier for me in life, but I actually find myself kinda burned out. I'm not even sure whether I can make it through this last year, because I lack motivation and energy already. I'm now standing in front of a tough decision - do I continue what I have already chosen and be at risk of hating my job for the rest of my life, or do I pay more money now for a new university program that I would enjoy, but would put me at risk of not being able to find a job?All advices and insights much appreciated, thank you.
Tough it out and finish the degree decently, it's only a year of your life. It's a very flexible degree, particularly if you get professional accreditations ACCA or similar. You can take the year to plan something different after uni, and then having taken a different route, you can bring the finance back in later in a career. It's very difficult to progress managerially in a career without financial experience, if you complete this degree you will have that bit in your back pocket for later on.
Pastelka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thank you all for the insight. I plan to complete this undergraduate program, however, most employers require a graduate one (my program consists of 3 year undergraduate and 2 year graduate), which would mean another two years. The other alternative when I was selecting what to study was japanogy, since I am interested in Japan and it's whereabouts since I was 12 (I'm now 22). But after I did some research, I found out that the only jobs I would be able to get are jobs for companies that require japanese language knowledge, but not japanology specifically - actually most of them required a degree in a different field (IT and business mostly). I would rather teach the language than do business with it, but in my country (Czech Republic) aren't many institutions that offer teaching jobs with japanese language and people are generally not interested in learning it, it's mostly a fling for teenagers who like anime, but then realize that's all there is to it and quit. I don't want to be a big pesimist, but I also think that my options in getting a job with japanology are certainly not abundant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (26)
13.33%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.15%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.62%
I need help with my personal statement (80)
41.03%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.54%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise