Abi_Dance
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
can someone help me with this essay , I know some rough points but cannot seem to differentiate the reforms between autocracy and the country itself

'Alexander II's reforms were motivated by his determination to preserve his autocracy in the years 1855-1881'

Explain why you agree or disagree with this view
Venture_interpol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can talk about the the nature of autocracy in Russia, including social divisions and the cultural influences of the Church. Firstly, make sure you understand the core meaning of autocracy, its antithesis too. Alexander II was called the 'Tsar Liberator' because he acknowledged the military weakness and accepted that serfs were necessary to improve the situation in the country. He implemented a variety of reforms directed at the serfs to strengthen Russia and keep the autocratic rule - but you could argue that he was essentially 'keeping the Serfs in check' so he could maintain his autocratic rule. Arguably, the reforms aimed at serfs were motivated by Alexander's fear of revolution and started with the Emancipation Act which gave serfs little more than freedom as they were still bound to their land by MIRs and had to pay redemption payments for 49 years. Military reform was encouraged by abolishing serfdom and witnessing the failure of Russian troops in the Crimean War. Legislation was necessary as peasants needed to have their place in Russia defined. The changes improved the legal system on the local level, although peasants were trialed by separate courts, strengthening class division.

Talk about the educational reforms, local government reforms and how the nobility kept their dominant status' (showing that the reforms were not a threat to autocracy). But then again, you can say that the educational reform allowed a great improvement to the standard of living for Russians, thus creating a base of equality and diminishing autocracy.

Do some research, look into it as there are loads of sources on the internet. Weigh up the factors which seem to tighten the aristocratic grip, and those which free the people and create equality, and then decide between the two which you think was the greater motivational factor.

Hope this helps!
Abi_Dance
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Venture_interpol)
You can talk about the the nature of autocracy in Russia, including social divisions and the cultural influences of the Church. Firstly, make sure you understand the core meaning of autocracy, its antithesis too. Alexander II was called the 'Tsar Liberator' because he acknowledged the military weakness and accepted that serfs were necessary to improve the situation in the country. He implemented a variety of reforms directed at the serfs to strengthen Russia and keep the autocratic rule - but you could argue that he was essentially 'keeping the Serfs in check' so he could maintain his autocratic rule. Arguably, the reforms aimed at serfs were motivated by Alexander's fear of revolution and started with the Emancipation Act which gave serfs little more than freedom as they were still bound to their land by MIRs and had to pay redemption payments for 49 years. Military reform was encouraged by abolishing serfdom and witnessing the failure of Russian troops in the Crimean War. Legislation was necessary as peasants needed to have their place in Russia defined. The changes improved the legal system on the local level, although peasants were trialed by separate courts, strengthening class division.

Talk about the educational reforms, local government reforms and how the nobility kept their dominant status' (showing that the reforms were not a threat to autocracy). But then again, you can say that the educational reform allowed a great improvement to the standard of living for Russians, thus creating a base of equality and diminishing autocracy.

Do some research, look into it as there are loads of sources on the internet. Weigh up the factors which seem to tighten the aristocratic grip, and those which free the people and create equality, and then decide between the two which you think was the greater motivational factor.

Hope this helps!
Thankyou so much ! Would you set the essay out as separate paragraphs for agree/disagree or combine them when mentioning the reforms ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads