Snyasmine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m taking five A-levels right now and the work load is too difficult to deal with, I’m barely getting any sleep and I’m constantly stressed out. I’m taking German, Philosophy, Chemistry, Law and History.I’m the only student in my German class so it hasn’t been to hard to keep on top of things and I’m really enjoying chemistry even though I’m not sure if I’ll get an amazing grade. As for philosophy it’s hard but it keeps me interesting, same for history. That leaves Law, which I love and really enjoy.Basically I don’t know what to do but I know I can’t continue with this workload and keep my sanity. What do I do?(I maybe want to study law at uni after a levels)
The-judge-16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Snyasmine)
I’m taking five A-levels right now and the work load is too difficult to deal with, I’m barely getting any sleep and I’m constantly stressed out. I’m taking German, Philosophy, Chemistry, Law and History.I’m the only student in my German class so it hasn’t been to hard to keep on top of things and I’m really enjoying chemistry even though I’m not sure if I’ll get an amazing grade. As for philosophy it’s hard but it keeps me interesting, same for history. That leaves Law, which I love and really enjoy.Basically I don’t know what to do but I know I can’t continue with this workload and keep my sanity. What do I do?(I maybe want to study law at uni after a levels)
Maybe drop chemistry if you’re looking to study law. Honestly chemistry is such a difficult a level, and if your not interested in going on to study a science related degree i.e chemistry/biochemistry then I really wouldn’t take it at a level tbh. In addition, you normally need another science to do a science degree at university anyway.

Best of luck with whatever you finally decide to do!
justjas33
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Chem or Philosophy imo, tbh I’d recommend dropping both and just do the typical 3. More a-levels doesn’t equal better - unis will consider you to the exact same extent they’ll consider someone with 3 a levels, or even them more if they’re predicted AAA but you AABBB.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Snyasmine)
you don't directly need law to do a law degree but you could drop chemistry as you won't need it in the future.
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello, I am sorry to hear that you have had a difficult time managing your college workload. Considering that you are planning to study Law at university, it may be worth considering dropping Chemistry, since it is probably the least applicable subject from your list to the study of Law. However, as you enjoy studying Chemistry, I understand why it is a tough decision. I have studied Chemistry myself at A Level, and I found it very interesting, so I do understand the appeal Despite all of that, your mental health should be the number 1 priority, and studying 5 A Levels, as you have experienced, does not leave you much time to rest and relax, which you do need to maintain interest in your subjects, and to keep doing well in them.

All universities only require you to have 3 A Levels, so doing 4 would already be 1 more than necessary. Thus, doing 4 A Levels would already been you are pushing yourself beyond what is expected of you! So, do not feel as if dropping as a subject will put you at any disadvantage application-wise, because it will not. In contrast, most likely you will be able to get higher grades in your subjects, if you choose to study fewer of them, since you will be able to better prepare for your assignments and examinations. Furthermore, you can always maintain your interest in Chemistry, by keeping it more as an extracurricular activity - whether it is doing some reading in your free time, or joining a Chemistry club or society.

I hope this helps you out a bit. At the end of the day, it is your decision as to which subjects to keep, or drop, and most certainly you can study Law no matter which subject you choose to give up from your list . Let me know if you have any questions about anything university-related.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (160)
14.55%
I'm not sure (48)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (327)
29.73%
I have already dropped out (31)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (534)
48.55%

Watched Threads