The Student Room Group

Unsure what uni course to do

Currently doing maths, economics and comp science. Predicted grades are not looking great, U,C,C. Can I still apply to university with those grades?
YES. so here's a University explorer website

this link is assuming you get math, Econ & CS (it showssome typical & some unexpected degrees) explore!

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/computer-science/economics/mathematics?o=210

this link is with your 'predicted grades' (tho' I gave you an E rather than U, you can adjust furher)
and I put in Computer as the course seed, but explore further

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?utf8=%E2%9C%93&c%5Bq%5D=computer&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_0%5D=6&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_1%5D=4&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_2%5D=4&c%5Blower_points_bound%5D=72&c%5Bupper_points_bound%5D=96

so that gives just a possible 80+ universities, with approx your grades

I'd suggest you avoid 'naked' computer science degrees , unless you find a 4-year Foundation Degree CS (eg UCLAN CS foundation), as CS is rather heavy in maths concepts. I also got around 9% in my maths A level, but at college, it was 80% - with different teachers are more focussed approach.

also UoEssex Computer Science (including foundation year), BSc (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time 2021, UCAS Points: 72

but look into Abertay degrees in Game Design & other degrees in these 'unexpected' subjects from the first linkl

enjoy
What do you wish to study? What career do you want?

It’s highly unlikely you can get into uni with those grades without a foundation year. You could definitely still go but it would most likely be with a foundation year.

You need to look at what you want to study. Look at the course content, do you feel you’re capable of doing the things in the course?

Look at entry requirements of the course. How far off are you from what they are asking. Then see if the course offers a foundation year and see if you can get on that.

I’m sure there’s a way you can go, but you need more of a plan.
Reply 3
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
What do you wish to study? What career do you want?

It’s highly unlikely you can get into uni with those grades without a foundation year. You could definitely still go but it would most likely be with a foundation year.

You need to look at what you want to study. Look at the course content, do you feel you’re capable of doing the things in the course?

Look at entry requirements of the course. How far off are you from what they are asking. Then see if the course offers a foundation year and see if you can get on that.

I’m sure there’s a way you can go, but you need more of a plan.

i have no idea what I want to study right now, would it be wise to take a gap year and work on my start-ups? I'm running two at the moment and it's enough for me to live alone comfortably, however I don't want to rely on it as I don't have a backup plan
great to have a few "start ups" as a hobby!

Some people find that they can excel at uni by doing something related to a hobby

So I refurbished that degree explorer link, with just two E's at A-level, and got some hits in accounting. Of course you can get into somewhere, I was offered a place at Cardiff University to study Electronic & Electrical Engineering with U Maths, they said that they would teach me

But for you, why not consider such as Accounting University of Essex, Colchester. (including Foundation Year) BSc (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time 2021 UCAS Points: 72

Why Accounting? - it's not highly in demand by students, many of whom seem to want to do Forensics or media something.
my colleagues who did Physics at uni, say that when they go back home (I'm in Italy) that their mates who did accounting at uni have the biggest houses

Or Coventry University Professional Accounting HNC 1.0 year Full-time 2021 UCAS Points: 64 (That'd be better than an unplanned gap-year)

Or University of Northampton: Business/Accounting (with Foundation Study) BA (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time 2021 UCAS Points: 64-69
Study on the Beach, Bournemouth University Accounting and Finance (with Foundation Year) BA (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time including foundation year 2021
UCAS Points: 48-72 (forty-eight UCAS points - I told you that Accounting is nearly as popular as languages)
Reply 5
Original post by badgrader
i have no idea what I want to study right now, would it be wise to take a gap year and work on my start-ups? I'm running two at the moment and it's enough for me to live alone comfortably, however I don't want to rely on it as I don't have a backup plan

Yeah, take a gap year. Honestly, your grades are pretty awful and just rushing into university without at least some form of idea is really going to screw you up in the long-term. You can always go back to uni regardless, so don't worry about that (although you'll have to take a foundation year as others mentioned).
Original post by badgrader

Ah it’s great that you have start ups! I would say definitely take some time to decide what you want I do, whether that be by taking a gap year or by looking now!
Reply 7
Original post by LuigiMario
great to have a few "start ups" as a hobby!

Some people find that they can excel at uni by doing something related to a hobby

So I refurbished that degree explorer link, with just two E's at A-level, and got some hits in accounting. Of course you can get into somewhere, I was offered a place at Cardiff University to study Electronic & Electrical Engineering with U Maths, they said that they would teach me

But for you, why not consider such as Accounting University of Essex, Colchester. (including Foundation Year) BSc (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time 2021 UCAS Points: 72

Why Accounting? - it's not highly in demand by students, many of whom seem to want to do Forensics or media something.
my colleagues who did Physics at uni, say that when they go back home (I'm in Italy) that their mates who did accounting at uni have the biggest houses

Or Coventry University Professional Accounting HNC 1.0 year Full-time 2021 UCAS Points: 64 (That'd be better than an unplanned gap-year)

Or University of Northampton: Business/Accounting (with Foundation Study) BA (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time 2021 UCAS Points: 64-69
Study on the Beach, Bournemouth University Accounting and Finance (with Foundation Year) BA (Hons) 4.0 years Full-time including foundation year 2021
UCAS Points: 48-72 (forty-eight UCAS points - I told you that Accounting is nearly as popular as languages)

Great news! Managed to get one my predicted grades to a B. Currently looking at BCU. Could possibly get the maths upto a C in the coming weeks! Brings it to a BCC

Quick Reply

Latest