EllieBubbles9001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Because of COVID I have had to take a voluntary interruption of study from my course, (the Uni haven't put in any safety measures apart from windows being open in a classroom of 50 and walking one way around the building) I am still in student accommodation and wanted to know am I even allowed to end my tenancy and move home?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EllieBubbles9001)
Because of COVID I have had to take a voluntary interruption of study from my course, (the Uni haven't put in any safety measures apart from windows being open in a classroom of 50 and walking one way around the building) I am still in student accommodation and wanted to know am I even allowed to end my tenancy and move home?
you need to check your tenancy agreement as to whether there's a plenty to ending your contract or not.
EllieBubbles9001
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
you need to check your tenancy agreement as to whether there's a plenty to ending your contract or not.
What is that?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is that?
Think she means a break clause which is basically a term that outines under what circumstances the tenancy agreement can be set aside, if there isn't one you'll probably be required to find an alternate tenant to assume your tenancy before you can terminate it.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is that?
you should have gotten a copy of it to sign in some way when you agreed to live in your accommodation
EllieBubbles9001
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Think she means a break clause which is basically a term that outines under what circumstances the tenancy agreement can be set aside, if there isn't one you'll probably be required to find an alternate tenant to assume your tenancy before you can terminate it.
I don't think there is one and I know I'm not allowed to give the tenancy to someone else
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
What is that?
I think claireestelle meant to type "penalty" rather than "plenty".
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think there is one and I know I'm not allowed to give the tenancy to someone else
Did you not sign something before moving in?
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are if you want to terminate, you should speak to your accomodation team. You're not allowed to sublet, which is letting the room to somebody else, and claiming money from them.
EllieBubbles9001
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
You are if you want to terminate, you should speak to your accomodation team. You're not allowed to sublet, which is letting the room to somebody else, and claiming money from them.
it seems like they have it all tied up, I signed up so I pay the whole thing, i wouldn't mind paying a penalty but without grants from my course i don't have ten grand to shell out for the cost of the whole tenancy, are you sure you're allowed just give it to someone else?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by martin7)
I think claireestelle meant to type "penalty" rather than "plenty".
indeed i did
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it seems like they have it all tied up, I signed up so I pay the whole thing, i wouldn't mind paying a penalty but without grants from my course i don't have ten grand to shell out for the cost of the whole tenancy, are you sure you're allowed just give it to someone else?
Yes, because you're finiding someone else to take up your tenancy and ending your relationship with the landlord which you can do under the contract. Read the contract it should be in there. If you don't find someone to take the tenancy on the property then you will be liable for the whole rent for the term agreed with the landlord irrespective of whether or not you live there.
Last edited by ROTL94; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14%
I'm not sure (24)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.18%
I have already dropped out (11)
2%
I'm not a current university student (261)
47.45%

Watched Threads