Venture_interpol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,

I graduated this summer from my UG degree, and am currently researching a variety of masters degrees in Environmental Impact Assessment & Planning/Renewable Energy technology. Irrespective of the courses (I can weigh these up myself), I have managed to whittle down the selection to 3 universities: Uni of Liverpool, Uni of Manchester and Uni of Newcastle. Would anyone be able to give a bit of info on the student life in these cities? E.g. cost of living, nightlife, accommodation, general student vibe? I'm aware that all 3 are RG red-bricks, and that overall UoM has the best rep, but nevertheless, I'm a a bit clueless as I have minimal experience with the three cities!

Moreover, if anyone has any experience with the School of Geography & Planning at UoL and UoM, or the Faculty of Science, Agriculture & Engineering at Newcastle, please do share. Many thanks!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Venture_interpol)
Hi all,

I graduated this summer from my UG degree, and am currently researching a variety of masters degrees in Environmental Impact Assessment & Planning/Renewable Energy technology. Irrespective of the courses (I can weigh these up myself), I have managed to whittle down the selection to 3 universities: Uni of Liverpool, Uni of Manchester and Uni of Newcastle. Would anyone be able to give a bit of info on the student life in these cities? E.g. cost of living, nightlife, accommodation, general student vibe? I'm aware that all 3 are RG red-bricks, and that overall UoM has the best rep, but nevertheless, I'm a a bit clueless as I have minimal experience with the three cities!

Moreover, if anyone has any experience with the School of Geography & Planning at UoL and UoM, or the Faculty of Science, Agriculture & Engineering at Newcastle, please do share. Many thanks!
Hi Venture_interpol :hello:

I can confirm that Liverpool is a great city to study in! Accommodation is pretty cheap compared to many other cities and the city is very student friendly.

You can find out more about the city of Liverpool here on our website.

You might also be interested to read our recent blog post all about Smithdown Road (one of the student hubs in the city) which tells you all about life and things to do in the city of Liverpool.

I hope this helps. If you've any further questions, just ask!

Melissa
dedcrush
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Okay! I study in Newcastle so I can tell you a bit about that. The cost of living here is extremely cheap, It's a serious benefit of living in this city. Food is cheap, clothes are cheap, transport is cheap, alcohol prices are really cheap haha. On that note, a lot of the students here do like to party hard. There's a massive drinking culture for sure, (especially if you're in some particular student accommodations e.g castle leazes.) I think it can get rowdy. But, saying this, I have also met quite a few people who completely abstain from alcohol. In fact, we have a 'sober socials' society where you can meet people who don't drink at all if you want. The students here are SO friendly and social. Doesn't matter if they're from Newcastle itself or from elsewhere. There's a really good sense of community on campus, I think.

When it comes to accommodation, personally, I'm not a big fan of most of our University-owned accommodation. It's pretty average. However, there's plenty of private options available. If you have the money, you can find some pretty bougie places, since we take in a lot of rich, Chinese exchange students. They aren't even that expensive actually when compared to places like London! (£200 a week for a penthouse, £150 for a studio, typical room is like, £100-£130 ish I think?)

The city itself is not overwhelmingly large which I appreciate and there's still so many interesting things to do. I'm a big fan of the dog and cat cafes here haha! There's a ton of independently run, and chain restaurants with so much variation between them. I highly recommend the food crawl on freshers week.

Omg I could on about this forever! But seriously, I love the city. Great atmosphere, great people, great university, not so great weather haha! Bring your coat
Venture_interpol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by dedcrush)
Okay! I study in Newcastle so I can tell you a bit about that. The cost of living here is extremely cheap, It's a serious benefit of living in this city. Food is cheap, clothes are cheap, transport is cheap, alcohol prices are really cheap haha. On that note, a lot of the students here do like to party hard. There's a massive drinking culture for sure, (especially if you're in some particular student accommodations e.g castle leazes.) I think it can get rowdy. But, saying this, I have also met quite a few people who completely abstain from alcohol. In fact, we have a 'sober socials' society where you can meet people who don't drink at all if you want. The students here are SO friendly and social. Doesn't matter if they're from Newcastle itself or from elsewhere. There's a really good sense of community on campus, I think.

When it comes to accommodation, personally, I'm not a big fan of most of our University-owned accommodation. It's pretty average. However, there's plenty of private options available. If you have the money, you can find some pretty bougie places, since we take in a lot of rich, Chinese exchange students. They aren't even that expensive actually when compared to places like London! (£200 a week for a penthouse, £150 for a studio, typical room is like, £100-£130 ish I think?)

The city itself is not overwhelmingly large which I appreciate and there's still so many interesting things to do. I'm a big fan of the dog and cat cafes here haha! There's a ton of independently run, and chain restaurants with so much variation between them. I highly recommend the food crawl on freshers week.

Omg I could on about this forever! But seriously, I love the city. Great atmosphere, great people, great university, not so great weather haha! Bring your coat
Hi, thanks for your help!

Sounds great. I've ended up going for Newcastle due to the course, so this is really useful.

I've started checking out accommodation options and I agree with the university-owned ones, they don't appeal to me either. Do you know where postgrads usually live? I'm aware of the numerous halls dotted around, and I've also read that Jesmond is the most sought after housing area. I don't know anyone studying at Newcastle unfortunately so finding a house would be rather difficult. I just don't want to get stuck with a bunch of noisy undergrads:rolleyes: Are you aware of any Facebook groups etc where people advertise spaces in their houses, etc? Or would you say halls are a better shout?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (34)
7.8%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.73%

Watched Threads