Raf Eye sight requirements for Regiment Gunner

Watch
Foreverkidd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just had a phone call with capita regarding my medical, my eyesight is currently at - 3.00 in my left and - 3.50 in my right and i looked up online about the requirements and it stated that it can be up to - 7.00 or - 8.00. I trust it a lot and I even asked information about the eyesight requirements to my local AFCO. I previously applied for the marines and cancelled my application due to a failed medical (eyesight not meeting the standard) and I looked to get into the Raf due to the eyesight requirement not being the same and them being more leniant. Currently having to send in my eyesight prescription, they have to assess whether it's good enough. I am at - 3.00 at me left eye and - 3.50 in the right. Just wondering if that meets the requirements.
AscendingWings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you saying you just had your phone call medical, or a all specifically about your eyesight?

I'm not in any position to say whether or not it meets the requirements, I'm not qualified to say. ...But if you've read around the subject and been informed by your AFCO, if it causes issues and medical stage is failed, appeal it if you wish. Capita are contracted the job based on the RAF requirements on paper, appealing will take it into review with the RAF medical department. You can't always believe what you read online, things can be completely wrong or change from one moment to the next.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

As long as your eyesight is within -6 and +6 then you should be okay. Although it will be looked at during your medical, that's why it's part of the process.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Foreverkidd
Rep:
?
(Original post by AscendingWings)
Are you saying you just had your phone call medical, or a all specifically about your eyesight?

I'm not in any position to say whether or not it meets the requirements, I'm not qualified to say. ...But if you've read around the subject and been informed by your AFCO, if it causes issues and medical stage is failed, appeal it if you wish. Capita are contracted the job based on the RAF requirements on paper, appealing will take it into review with the RAF medical department. You can't always believe what you read online, things can be completely wrong or change from one moment to the next.
I have just had my phone call medical telling me that I have to send in my eye prescription, my marines application got cancelled due to my eyesight and not much has really changed, the doctor said that the navy has the same eye sight requirements as the raf which I am quite confused about. I was told by my local AFCO that the raf is more leniany in terms of the eyesight requirements...
Foreverkidd
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

As long as your eyesight is within -6 and +6 then you should be okay. Although it will be looked at during your medical, that's why it's part of the process.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I have just been informed that the navy apparently has the same eye sight requirements as the airforce which is very confusing to me.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Foreverkidd)
I have just been informed that the navy apparently has the same eye sight requirements as the airforce which is very confusing to me.
The RM are the RN when it suits them, but then not at other times.
Foreverkidd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
The RM are the RN when it suits them, but then not at other times.
Just wondering if the navy has the same eyesight requirements as the raf
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just wondering if the navy has the same eyesight requirements as the raf
Eyesight requirements depend on what role you are applying for.
Foreverkidd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Eyesight requirements depend on what role you are applying for.
Applying for reg gunner, I was told that. Y eyesight is good enough, but the phone call said otherwise...
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Applying for reg gunner, I was told that. Y eyesight is good enough, but the phone call said otherwise...
Hi

You haven't actually told us what the phone call said. You've just said you had a phone call. You've told us that your eyesight is within -6 and +6 so you should be okay, unless there's something else that you haven't advised of?? Or are you saying that your eyesight isn't good enough for the RM/Navy?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Foreverkidd
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

You haven't actually told us what the phone call said. You've just said you had a phone call. You've told us that your eyesight is within -6 and +6 so you should be okay, unless there's something else that you haven't advised of?? Or are you saying that your eyesight isn't good enough for the RM/Navy?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
The phone call consisted of the doctor advising me that if I have failed the Royal marines medical, due to my eyesight not meeting the required standards, then I will also not make it in the RAF due to Royal marines/navy having the same eyesight requirements as the RAF.

I have sent in my eyesight prescription to medical and they shall give a verdict whether I will make it to the actual medical phase or not.

My eyesight falls between the +6 - 6 range so in theory I should pass it to the actual medical stage.

I will keep you informed whether I fail it due to my eyesight or if I pass it.

I just received a message saying that I am TMU due to the eyesight, should I fail then I will appeal because I whole heartedly believe my eyesight is good enough for RAF
Last edited by Foreverkidd; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.46%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (25)
10.25%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.74%

Watched Threads