booboo28
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I understand I may be in a bit of a unique situation - basically, over lockdown, I started a 4th A-level, Maths, because I need it to get into the uni course I wanna do. I also take Physics, Chemistry and Spanish at college. I tried to start maths at my college but they said no so I turned to self-teaching.
It's a long shot but is anyone else either in the same boat and/or have any tips on how to cope and handle it all?
username5426190
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by booboo28)
I understand I may be in a bit of a unique situation - basically, over lockdown, I started a 4th A-level, Maths, because I need it to get into the uni course I wanna do. I also take Physics, Chemistry and Spanish at college. I tried to start maths at my college but they said no so I turned to self-teaching.
It's a long shot but is anyone else either in the same boat and/or have any tips on how to cope and handle it all?
Hello. I'm doing accelerated Maths with two-years Physics, Chem and Geography.

Make a study schedule and stick to it strictly. There are websites with free resources like examsolutions, revisionworld, physicsandmathstutor, studentbase, mrbartonmaths, khanacademy. Check them out. They'll aid your personal study. Also, check youtube accounts that have videos explaining mathematical concepts like TLmaths, Tyler Dewitt, nancy pi, hegartymaths, midnighttutor and fuseschool. With all these resources and even more you can find through a google search, you should do well. Don't get stressed. You can do it just like many others have done.

The first key to self-studying right is discipline. Make sure you stick to your schedule, and try to avoid slacking off. Make sure to practice topical past questions at the end of each module. You can find papers at freeexampapers.com. Don't try to study for lengthy periods at a go. For example, instead of two or three hours straight, break that time into 40 minute sessions with 10 minute breaks in-between each session. If you're studying it in one year, aim for 16 to 20 hours per week which is what I do. If you're using two years, 8 to 10 hours per week is fine.
_ks233
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know a friend taking further maths privately, she got tutoring outside but also asks a few further maths students to tutor her during lunch hours.
booboo28
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Daryl_01)
Hello. I'm doing accelerated Maths with two-years Physics, Chem and Geography.

Make a study schedule and stick to it strictly. There are websites with free resources like examsolutions, revisionworld, physicsandmathstutor, studentbase, mrbartonmaths, khanacademy. Check them out. They'll aid your personal study. Also, check youtube accounts that have videos explaining mathematical concepts like TLmaths, Tyler Dewitt, nancy pi, hegartymaths, midnighttutor and fuseschool. With all these resources and even more you can find through a google search, you should do well. Don't get stressed. You can do it just like many others have done.

The first key to self-studying right is discipline. Make sure you stick to your schedule, and try to avoid slacking off. Make sure to practice topical past questions at the end of each module. You can find papers at freeexampapers.com. Don't try to study for lengthy periods at a go. For example, instead of two or three hours straight, break that time into 40 minute sessions with 10 minute breaks in-between each session. If you're studying it in one year, aim for 16 to 20 hours per week which is what I do. If you're using two years, 8 to 10 hours per week is fine.
Hi, thank you for your help. I've gotten myself into a bit of a state over this and your kindness with sharing resources has helped so much!
username5426190
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, thank you for your help. I've gotten myself into a bit of a state over this and your kindness with sharing resources has helped so much!
You're very welcome. I'm more than happy to help. Do let me know if there's anything else you need.
hhqurashi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Make sure you get a textbook so you know exactly what kind of questions come up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (165)
14.59%
I'm not sure (51)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.62%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.01%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise