BiggestGrinder
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
An econ Bsc usually involves a lot of math but i've had my first online lecture for "maths for econ" and its eassyyyyyy(Literally year 8/9 algebra). Obviously, they dont have any maths requirements for the degree so ofc they have to start from the basics. Whereas other unis such as russel group unis will start with harder topics. For this reason will employers not value my econ degree as much? Btw we will be studying harder topics later like integration but ofc other unis study more harder topics...
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course employers will not value you’re degree. Hallam is probably one of the worst universities you can go to. If you want to get a top job you need to go to top university. I would transfer or drop out of your course and reapply to university
BiggestGrinder
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Would u say a good class from shu economics has some sort of value? Ofc for the top top jobs they look for Cambridge graduates.
Benjamin23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i think it really depends on the job. which ones would you be looking at eventually?
Last edited by Benjamin23; 2 weeks ago
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BiggestGrinder)
An econ Bsc usually involves a lot of math but i've had my first online lecture for "maths for econ" and its eassyyyyyy(Literally year 8/9 algebra). Obviously, they dont have any maths requirements for the degree so ofc they have to start from the basics. Whereas other unis such as russel group unis will start with harder topics. For this reason will employers not value my econ degree as much? Btw we will be studying harder topics later like integration but ofc other unis study more harder topics...
Literally every BSc Economics has a module in the first semester where you cover differentiation, integration and matrix algebra. I wouldn't say the integration covered would be considered 'a harder topic'.

In reference to your question, yeah Sheffield Hallam is pretty bad ranking wise. University degrees in economics aren't like A-levels or degrees which lead to charterhood, students don't cover the same content so better unis will be covering far more advanced content. If you want to persist there, I wouldn't make up your opinions based on the first lectures haha.

Why did you choose to go there in the first place if you knew it wasn't particularly good? In terms of how employers would view it, most firms care more about the uni than the course or your degree grades. Plus if you want a job at a bank or as an economist, these firms often filter people out automatically if they have lower than AAB at A-level.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course it holds value, it still shows you've committed yourself to three years of study and likely will be enough to work for an Small medium sized enterprise, or with significant work experience (internships) you could potentially even weasel you way into a top 100 employer. Several candidates from suspicious uni's where at one of my assessment centres. So it's not impossible.

Will it make you as employable as a Russell group degree? Likely not. It also won't make master's applications very easy.

You'll need a first or so to potentially trade up.

While if you went to a RG likely just a decent 2:1 would get you into alot of fancy institutions.

But i mean i graduated from University of Nottingham.... And attend the University of Groningen in the Netherlands... And the view on the site would likely be I've got a pretty average CV 😂. This is an academic inflation website.

Roughly 13-14 percent of pupils achieve AAB or higher... And AAB on this website is just an average set of results 😂.

So probably not the best place to look for advice of Sheffield Hallam. Some people might even scoff at University of Sheffield tbh, depending on where they did in some domestic ranking for economics.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Of course it holds value, it still shows you've committed yourself to three years of study and likely will be enough to work for an Small medium sized enterprise, or with significant work experience (internships) you could potentially even weasel you way into a top 100 employer. Several candidates from suspicious uni's where at one of my assessment centres. So it's not impossible.

Will it make you as employable as a Russell group degree? Likely not. It also won't make master's applications very easy.

You'll need a first or so to potentially trade up.

While if you went to a RG likely just a decent 2:1 would get you into alot of fancy institutions.

But i mean i graduated from University of Nottingham.... And attend the University of Groningen in the Netherlands... And the view on the site would likely be I've got a pretty average CV 😂. This is an academic inflation website.

Roughly 13-14 percent of pupils achieve AAB or higher... And AAB on this website is just an average set of results 😂.

So probably not the best place to look for advice of Sheffield Hallam. Some people might even scoff at University of Sheffield tbh, depending on where they did in some domestic ranking for economics.
Whilst I sort of agree, the economics/finance job market is particularly competitive considering the salaries available. So I feel like your 13% AAB point doesn't hold too well as it is genuinely true that city firms tend to have a-level requirements.

It's true tsr can be a bit of a snobbish echo chamber but a SHU degree will still get a you a job etc, maybe not at a bank or whatever but if that doesn't matter to you then SHU is okay. Once you've worked for a few years people care more about your experience and skills than your uni, it's just much harder to get top internship experience when you don't go to the top unis, especially in the current jobs climate
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BiggestGrinder)
Would u say a good class from shu economics has some sort of value? Ofc for the top top jobs they look for Cambridge graduates.
University rankings are linked to IQ.

120+ IQ - Oxbridge or top 10

100-120 IQ - Top 10-30

100- 80 IQ - Top 30 - 50

80 - 70 - Top 50 - 70

70 - 60 - Top 70 - 90

Below 60 IQ - Below 90 in university rankings.

Essentially by going to Sheffield Hallam you are telling employers that you are low IQ. Don’t hate because it’s facts.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)

100-120 IQ - Top 10-30

100- 80 IQ - Top 30 - 50

80 - 70 - Top 50 - 70

70 - 60 - Top 70 - 90

Essentially by going to Sheffield Hallam you are telling employers that you are low IQ. Don’t hate because it’s facts.
Hoping this is sarcastic because if not, it's one of the stupidest things I've seen posted here
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Hoping this is sarcastic because if not, it's one of the stupidest things I've seen posted here
It’s not. Go to London Met and tell me that they are as intelligent as Oxford students.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

100-120 IQ - Top 10-30

100- 80 IQ - Top 30 - 50

80 - 70 - Top 50 - 70

70 - 60 - Top 70 - 90

Source?
Your making a pretty big claim, equating Sheffield Hallam with your local special school.
I expected higher quality trolling off you TBH
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Source?
Your making a pretty big claim, equating Sheffield Hallam with your local special school.
I expected higher quality trolling off you TBH
All my trolling is high quality thank you very much.
Last edited by Thisismyunitsr; 2 weeks ago
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
>Tfw you get a Sheffield Hallam advert when your on this thread
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All my trolling is high quality thank you very much
Don't flatter yourself.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't flatter yourself.
It’s a student forum where nerds out do each other with grades. It’s not Tinder.

I mean have you been to Hallam?

Some of them are a bit, ermmmm on the London Met side rather than the Cambridge side of the intellectual divide.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s not. Go to London Met and tell me that they are as intelligent as Oxford students.
Me saying it's bs is not the same as me saying Oxbridge = London met.... Wtf are you even talking mate?

Share the link or your source otherwise we know that you're just making it up. First do you even know how IQ works lol? You do know that 100 is the median in society so seeing as about the top half of students go to uni, it's reasonable to assume that anyone who goes to uni is around a hundred. Saying bottom unis are 60 on the iq scale is so so dumb. When you read about iq, below about 80 people can't even hold basic jobs in retail, so saying low unis are 60 is just laughable.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s a student forum where nerds out do each other with grades. It’s not Tinder.

I mean have you been to Hallam?

Some of them are a bit, ermmmm on the London Met side rather than the UCL side of the intellectual divide.
Tinder ain't the only place where you can *sslick yourself.
I thought you said UCL was far superior to Cambridge anyway.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tinder ain't the only place where you can *sslick yourself.
I thought you said UCL was far superior to Cambridge anyway.
When did I ever say that
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When did I ever say that
Oops, I mistook you for tsrholicc, leave the trolling to the pros.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oops, I mistook you for tsrholicc, leave the trolling to the pros.
I can’t even troll properly gotta up me game
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (55)
15.58%
I'm not sure (9)
2.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.56%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.7%
I'm not a current university student (161)
45.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed