Deemed unfit to study

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So on Monday I received the devastating news that my university has deemed me unfit to study and advised I am to take a year off to focus on my recovery.

I feel like such a failure, particularly as the illness is self-inflicted.

Does anyone have any experience of this? What did you do in your time off?

I'm at such a loss as what to do, and if anything it's made my mental health worse because I now have nothing to focus on or motivate me to get better.
Med_Glasgow
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Are you a med/ nursing student?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So on Monday I received the devastating news that my university has deemed me unfit to study and advised I am to take a year off to focus on my recovery.

I'm at such a loss as what to do, and if anything it's made my mental health worse because I now have nothing to focus on or motivate me to get better.
Care to give us more detail about the illness?
Why is it self inflicted?
What stage are your studies at?
What sort of treatment are you getting from your GP and counsellor?
What sort of marks have you been getting?

On what basis did they say you are unfit?

Surely the point is to give you an opportunity to focus on yourself and your MH? If you get better, then you can motivate yourself with the benefits of a healthier mind, being happier and more able to do the degree to your full potential?
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Universities don’t like losing students, so there must be a really compelling reason why they want you to take a break. It sounds like they think it’s essential to take the time to deal properly with whatever your issues are so they don’t get in the way of your studies. It also sounds like they are saying very clearly “we want you back when you are ready”, so that’s definitely the positive message to take from this.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Care to give us more detail about the illness?
Why is it self inflicted?
What stage are your studies at?
What sort of treatment are you getting from your GP and counsellor?
What sort of marks have you been getting?

On what basis did they say you are unfit?

Surely the point is to give you an opportunity to focus on yourself and your MH? If you get better, then you can motivate yourself with the benefits of a healthier mind, being happier and more able to do the degree to your full potential?
I have anorexia. Have done for 6 years but I've relapsed this year. I just feel so stupid for letting it get so bad again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Med_Glasgow)
Are you a med/ nursing student?
No, Biosciences
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
I have anorexia. Have done for 6 years but I've relapsed this year. I just feel so stupid for letting it get so bad again.
Yep there are a number of people with eating disorders on TSR, just trying to remember which ones.
Your health comes first.- No good being unhappy and failing exams.
Maybe dont beat yourself up and start by listening to others plus supporting yourself. At this stage your strategy or mentality hasnt helped you. so you need a very basic/ simple stabilising routine to:
1. Stop getting any worse.
2. Reach a compromise with food.
3. Make some small moves to increase happiness, wellbeing, stability and control by means other than food.
4. Get a routine that can build a virtuous circle towards your target of getting back to uni.

You might hate it but you will need the support of other people because you havent done it on your own.

Wont bore you with the beat pages.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=anorexia&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

http://www.selfhelpguides.ntw.nhs.uk...0Disorders.pdf
https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...orexia-nervosa
http://live.nhsggc.org.uk/media/2200...s_patientguide[1].pdf

Just remind yourself the Uni have done it for your safety and benefit.
If you follow the advice, then it is within your power to make small changes and get better or at least more stable and to a level where you can return to uni.

Talk to people. You can make it better, just avoid the pitfalls and dodges you know you have previously used to avoid dealing with the problem.
Hang in there and hope you make some positive steps.
zombgum
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You're not stupid, please don't feel that way. I know it must feel awful to have to take a break, but it will help you in the long-term. You now have time to focus on your recovery. They want you to come back, so don't worry too much! <3

Wishing the best for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (108)
38.3%
The paper was reasonable (136)
48.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
9.22%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
4.26%

Watched Threads