The Student Room Group

Younger Brothers/Sister Growing Up

Has anyone experienced this recently? My brother is 16 in February, its great that hes maturing and doesnt actually irritate me much anymore, and he isnt as naive and stupid as he used to be, becoming more of a mate in a way..

Anyway, one annoying thing to come of this, is that hes almost as tall as me, and about a stone heavier, so when we fight(only messing about) basically hes just too big and too heavy for me to beat him anymore! I say this with a massive 2 inch bruise on my shoulder where he walloped me earlier, not nice, the days of smashing his face in and him running off crying to mum have gone, and now its my turn :frown: Really sucks!

Whats your experiences with younger brothers and sisters growing older? Whats changed, for better or worse?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Younger sis 16 going on 17 very soon, and she's actually not as annoying as she used to be, lol! There was a time when all we'd do was fight, b/c she's not the most subtle person in the world, yet I'm very sensitive, so we sure had issues.

Surprisingly tho, lately she's been quite good. Even my friends noticed :rolleyes: Hmmm. So she's getting better. Still argumentive, but she's starting to realise that she can't get her way all the time, and that being educated is a very important thing.
Reply 2
imasillynarb
Has anyone experienced this recently? My brother is 16 in February, its great that hes maturing and doesnt actually irritate me much anymore, and he isnt as naive and stupid as he used to be, becoming more of a mate in a way..

Anyway, one annoying thing to come of this, is that hes almost as tall as me, and about a stone heavier, so when we fight(only messing about) basically hes just too big and too heavy for me to beat him anymore! I say this with a massive 2 inch bruise on my shoulder where he walloped me earlier, not nice, the days of smashing his face in and him running off crying to mum have gone, and now its my turn :frown: Really sucks!

Whats your experiences with younger brothers and sisters growing older? Whats changed, for better or worse?

Well, my brother is absolute opposite. He still acts as if he is 5. He really gets on my nerves and he is a cocky bugger.
Reply 3
imasillynarb

I am a younger sibling. (a year and a half than my brother) and I would have to say that it's nice seeing my older brother mature and change. but it's quite sad, my dad treats him badly and once he is at university he probably won't come back!
Reply 4
I'm a younger brother (17, as opposed to my brother's 19). I reckon I could take him. After this back operation I had a month ago I've actually grown 3 inches because they straightened the spine, so I'm almost as tall as him heh.
Reply 5
My sister is 15.
It's scary thinking of the things I was doing at 15, and then thinking of how she may be doing those. I don't want her doing that
Shes getting taller as well, we have always been a short family and shes always been the smallest but she is almost as tall as my Mum and now she is nearer to me as well.
She has really seemed to blossom as shes got older and is really pretty. It is strange hearing about boyfriends, I get protective and want to tell them where to go if I ever hear a bad word about them.
Shes getting stronger as well which is a really bad thing as I liked being able to beat her without using any effort.
Reply 6
Never had to deal with this sort of thing, being an only child, and the youngest of my close relatives (in this country).
However, I do hear stories of my 'niece' who's about my age going out with all these guys from my school, and just people in general who I wouldn't want her to be getting involved with.
But, I've never been too close to her family, since we're only related through marriage, so I don't worry about it.
Reply 7
:hmpf: :hmpf:
My sister has changed ,but to the worst,when she was young I could control her and make her obey my orders ,she used to cry when I get mad at her and not talk to her,and begs me to forgive her :biggrin: but now she is rebeloius(sp?),she fights everybody she is a typical teenager,she doesn't respect me not tobits,keep taking and using my stuff without asking and gets her ouwn way with mom while I get all the blame although she is the one who is mistaken I even get the blame for everything wrong she does :frown: though I'm nice to her and i help her alot with most of her school projects or when she is under school pressure and needs help and what do I get for that some disrespect and not even a thank you :mad: :mad: :mad: plus she is strong during a fight I'm stronger but she also is strong :mad: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 8
My little brother's 8 so I've got all of this ahead of me. But I've seen my older brother (21) grow older and somewhat more mature. But sometimes, he can act like such an annoying idiot.
Reply 9
habosh
:hmpf: :hmpf:
My sister has changed ,but to the worst,when she was young I could control her and make her obey my orders ,she used to cry when I get mad at her and not talk to her,and begs me to forgive her :biggrin: but now she is rebeloius(sp?),she fights everybody she is a typical teenager,she doesn't respect me not tobits,keep taking and using my stuff without asking and gets her ouwn way with mom while I get all the blame although she is the one who is mistaken I even get the blame for everything wrong she does :frown: though I'm nice to her and i help her alot with most of her school projects or when she is under school pressure and needs help and what do I get for that some disrespect and not even a thank you :mad: :mad: :mad: plus she is strong during a fight I'm stronger but she also is strong :mad: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

My sister went through a stage like that and is just coming out of it. She is arguing with Mum dwnstairs now for some reason.
Whenever I make any food I always make a point of asking if anyone else wants something, she has taken to screaming at me that she doesn't. Just another one of those stupid phases.
She is a lot better then she used to be though. It seems to have dissapeared as she has got older and matured a little bit. I just hope it totally goes soon.
Reply 10
Luize
My sister went through a stage like that and is just coming out of it. She is arguing with Mum dwnstairs now for some reason.
Whenever I make any food I always make a point of asking if anyone else wants something, she has taken to screaming at me that she doesn't. Just another one of those stupid phases.
She is a lot better then she used to be though. It seems to have dissapeared as she has got older and matured a little bit. I just hope it totally goes soon.

I made pasta for me today and suddenly she wanted to have pasta too,so I left mine on the oven and came back to find them adding stuff to the pasta,it pissed me off it wasn't tastey at all :mad: :mad:
Reply 11
Xenon
My little brother's 8 so I've got all of this ahead of me. But I've seen my older brother (21) grow older and somewhat more mature. But sometimes, he can act like such an annoying idiot.

my brother can be an annoying idiot he is 21 too but bless him he always makes me laugh he is alot nier and more mature than he used to be,I hope he will stay like that,though we still fight I hit him and run away to mom so that I wont get hit back :biggrin: I would get my arm or bones broken if he cought me one day :biggrin:
Reply 12
i have a sister that is two years younger than me, and sometimes i get surprised when she says or do something that is in a way adult behaviour, she has matured with other words. but i will still always be one step ahead of her, and sometimes i can think that i used to react in the same way as she does in some situations. maybe it is different when you are of the same gender, you have done and experinenced the same things.

i have a older brother as well, and that is a different story. when i was younger i saw him as somone that could do everything and was all cool and things. but now he is just boring. but in a good way. and for some reason we don't have as much/good contact as we had when we were younger.
Reply 13
My younger 10 yr old brother has gotten really annoying and is so badly behaved - the other week he crashed our car, when left alone in it for 5mins, by pulling down the handbrake when on a slope!!
Reply 14
_EMMA_

i have a older brother as well, and that is a different story. when i was younger i saw him as somone that could do everything and was all cool and things. but now he is just boring. but in a good way. and for some reason we don't have as much/good contact as we had when we were younger.

Me and my older brother used to be really tight when we were younger. Now it's changed, and we seem to argue so much, cos my brother sometimes gets real lazy and can really annoy me. I sometimes wish we could go baack to being really close again. He can be ok when he's not doing the above things.
Since my youngest sister turned 13, everything is different in our house. She's moody, into guys, has grown so that she's bigger than me :eek:, but she retains some really childish elements like constantly picking on our little brother over the most trivial things. It's really weird seeing her grow up!!
Reply 16
You need to keep them in line! A good session of ripping/verbal abuse always goes down a treat, and itll probably lead to a fight, where you can do some serious damage, as long as youre prepared to get equally as hurt(just have to not show it!) :smile:
imasillynarb
You need to keep them in line! A good session of ripping/verbal abuse always goes down a treat, and itll probably lead to a fight, where you can do some serious damage, as long as youre prepared to get equally as hurt(just have to not show it!) :smile:

Hey, I'm younger than my sister and have been taller than her for the past 2 years!!! And verbal abuse is not her strength at all, still going to get her back for almost ripping my ear trying to get my earings a few years ago...
Reply 18
my older brother acts a lot younger than his age i feel. he seems to have a very naive attitude on everything.
Reply 19
I have two sisters, one older, one younger (15) (me 17). The older once is basically an adult now (19) lives in London and has a kid, so its pretty weird seeing her given that a couple of years ago we were squabbling siblings. My little sister though still seems pretty little and very childish though she has and is getting much better. Great thing is I long ago surpassed my older sister in height/strength and my little sister has never been taller than me. This is good and bad- I can hold them at arms length with impunity and if nessecary restrain em. However it also means if I do anything more than flick them I get shouted at profusley be my parents wheaseas they can whack me without consequences.... alas.

Latest

Trending

Trending