I’m kind of blind... cataracts

Watch
Dragon89
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I am a 24 year old who has just graduated and is on a grad programme with a big logistics company in the U.K. but I unfortunately have cataracts.

I can barely see anything and I have avoided getting it fixed because I have other health conditions that I need to address before getting that fixed. Which I hope will happen soon.

I am feeling anxious because the past 3 weeks of training I wasn’t really able to see the tv screen the trainer was giving training from. I barely can see the laptop screen too. It’s awkward when someone asks you to look at their laptop and you can’t see anything.

Everyone else is ahead and understand everything but I am just a little behind, but all the traning material is online so I can catch up.

In terms of surgery, I am so anxious and the more I am in training the more anxiety I get

Feeling sad, please help
chopingirl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry you're going through this but at least you can get it fixed. Are you sure it is cataracts, have you been to the doctor about it? I don't know how to help, but I think you need to get the operation done, it sounds scary I know but I think it's quite a standard straightforward thing, you will probs go home that day.
Dragon89
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chopingirl)
Sorry you're going through this but at least you can get it fixed. Are you sure it is cataracts, have you been to the doctor about it? I don't know how to help, but I think you need to get the operation done, it sounds scary I know but I think it's quite a standard straightforward thing, you will probs go home that day.
I will get better. My manager is very cool. After training (it is at separate locations with the training teams), that lasts 3 more weeks, I go back to my original work site where my manager will take over the training.

How do I approach them? I will have recent proof of the condition (can’t even get my eyesight checked because the eye test machine is unable to get the light through to the back of my eye (not sure if that’s the ye test or the other tests they do).

Last year I was told they were “mild cataracts”. Since there is no known natural successful cure, I will get the surgery.

However, I don’t want to take any medication because of past allergic reactions.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dragon89)
Hi,

I am a 24 year old who has just graduated and is on a grad programme with a big logistics company in the U.K. but I unfortunately have cataracts.

I can barely see anything and I have avoided getting it fixed because I have other health conditions that I need to address before getting that fixed. Which I hope will happen soon.

I am feeling anxious because the past 3 weeks of training I wasn’t really able to see the tv screen the trainer was giving training from. I barely can see the laptop screen too. It’s awkward when someone asks you to look at their laptop and you can’t see anything.

Everyone else is ahead and understand everything but I am just a little behind, but all the traning material is online so I can catch up.

In terms of surgery, I am so anxious and the more I am in training the more anxiety I get

Feeling sad, please help
Cataract ops are just about THE commonest and most successful bit of minor surgery the NHS does, and it does it fantastically well, its like a production line. It’s very quick, in and out in half a day, the actual surgery part is about 10 minutes, they will do one eye at a time, near zero pain, just a bit of mild irritation - though you have to remember not to scratch afterwards. The results are pretty much immediate when the bandage comes off next day - and just astonishing if your vision was bad before. You will need to take several sets of eye drops for a week or so (no pills usually), and avoid getting water in your eyes when showering for a couple of weeks, and wear an eye guard at night (taped on) so you dont poke it in your sleep, all very simple. You can be back at work pretty much next day – though a few days off is recommended. Its life changing.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 3 weeks ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My cataract op was not pleasant for sure but the results were transformational. I hope the same is true when you have yours. Only one if my eyes needed treatment so I have the other poised to go at some random point in the future.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you spoken to your GP about this recently?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.33%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise