Drop out or stay in sixth form?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone, so nearly a month ago I started sixth form and I went into it with a really positive open minded mentality. I have found I really don’t enjoy it to the point where I’ve been showing signs of depression. Like unmotivated, crying all the time, lost interest in everything. I’m not even sure whether it is school that’s making me unhappy or whether I was having mental health issues before I went back.

Im in between whether I should leave school and get a job or stay on. I’m 16 just gone into year 12. Thank you for reading and I’d really appreciate your replies
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I would suggest talking to your parents/guardians about this. I would say give yourself a few months and see if you feel the same way in a couple of months. For all you know, you may start to enjoy school by then. With regards to your mental health, I know it can be extremely difficult, so I would suggest be open about your mental health and sharing how you feel with the people you know. Make sure you aren’t too hard on yourself and remember that you shouldn’t be too subdued by the education system. Just try and derive fun in your subjects and if you find you can’t, then there are many other fields you can get into with vocational work. Feel free to talk here further
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would suggest talking to your parents/guardians about this. I would say give yourself a few months and see if you feel the same way in a couple of months. For all you know, you may start to enjoy school by then. With regards to your mental health, I know it can be extremely difficult, so I would suggest be open about your mental health and sharing how you feel with the people you know. Make sure you aren’t too hard on yourself and remember that you shouldn’t be too subdued by the education system. Just try and derive fun in your subjects and if you find you can’t, then there are many other fields you can get into with vocational work. Feel free to talk here further
Thank you! I have spoke to my parents about my schooling and my dad says if I hate it that much I should go get a job. My mum thinks I should stay in school until December and also get a Christmas temp job to see how I like working compared to school. So it's a controversy! As for my mental health I need to do something about that, I'm thinking of making a doctors appointment but with corona I'm not sure how that would work out. Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it
Anonymous #1
Sorry I'm also going to add I'm not too comfortable with my parents and mental health. Due to past experiences of lack of support and basically saying there's nothing wrong with me even though I've been to therapy twice lol.
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't advise you to leave school. Leaving school can make your future harder, especially for females(Are you boy or girl?)
Do you study well now? Have you seen GP?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shebk)
I don't advise you to leave school. Leaving school can make your future harder, especially for females(Are you boy or girl?)
Do you study well now? Have you seen GP?
I am a girl, why is it harder? Don’t worry I’m not a snowflake haha. I don’t study well, I’m behind on everything at the moment. I haven’t seen a GP
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am a girl, why is it harder? Don’t worry I’m not a snowflake haha. I don’t study well, I’m behind on everything at the moment. I haven’t seen a GP
Because you are not as strong as men, you'd better use your knowledge to earn money!
Are you difficult to be accepted by university for your current grade?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely don’t agree with the person above. Yeah physically girls aren’t always as strong but in every other aspect I disagree that women are weaker.
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shebk)
Because you are not as strong as men, you'd better use your knowledge to earn money!
Yes, females are not physically as strong as men(on average), however, I think it is just as easy for both males and females to get a job without A-levels. Not saying it is easy by the way, just that the difficulty level is pretty much the same.
username5386340
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shebk)
Wdym not as strong as men 😂like physically or emotionally?
Cryptic_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
May I ask whether your depression and current unmotivation is in any way related to the subjects you are studying for A Levels? It may be something to think about. For me, when I was in AS Levels, I realised a lot of my anxiety and depression were tied to the subjects I was taking. Paired with a family crisis, it led me to talk to my Head of Year and teachers and we decided to 1.) let me retake the year and 2.) choose new A Level subjects that were better suited to me.
username5386340
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay so I felt similar when i started sixth form and I'm going to be honest with you, unless you do something about it now things will just get worse.Go and see your gp/school councillor and explain how you feel as they will be able to sort of figure out why you might be feeling that way.. Sometimes you don't know yourself what the problem is but these sorts of people can help you realise what it might be. My biggest regret is not getting help sooner so I really think you should reach out to someone soon.. Hope you get some answers soon xx
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shebk)
Like some people on here I disagree but you can think what you think I, I won’t stop that. We currently haven’t got grades but if I had to guess I’d say no way. I don’t even want to go to university anyways.
Anonymous #1
Definitely don’t agree with the person above. Yeah physically girls aren’t always as strong but in every other aspect I disagree that women are weaker.
Yeah 100% women are biologically weaker.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cryptic_)
May I ask whether your depression and current unmotivation is in any way related to the subjects you are studying for A Levels? It may be something to think about. For me, when I was in AS Levels, I realised a lot of my anxiety and depression were tied to the subjects I was taking. Paired with a family crisis, it led me to talk to my Head of Year and teachers and we decided to 1.) let me retake the year and 2.) choose new A Level subjects that were better suited to me.
Your school seems to be really helpful! I’m glad that they were to you. I don’t believe it is but I will sit and have a think about that. I feel I’ve been feeling like this for a few months but because of having to do nothing in lockdown, I never noticed. Because I never had to motivate myself to do anything. I will think about this though! Thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lookingzar)
Okay so I felt similar when i started sixth form and I'm going to be honest with you, unless you do something about it now things will just get worse.Go and see your gp/school councillor and explain how you feel as they will be able to sort of figure out why you might be feeling that way.. Sometimes you don't know yourself what the problem is but these sorts of people can help you realise what it might be. My biggest regret is not getting help sooner so I really think you should reach out to someone soon.. Hope you get some answers soon xx
Because these feelings come and go in waves one minute I’ll think, I need to help myself and get support. And then the next minute I’ll think I was being over dramatic and that I’m fine now, and the cycle goes on. But I think I need to see past that and just make an appointment. I am going to give the GP a ring on Monday and hope that corona don’t make getting an appointment too hard. Also do you mean things will get worse with my mental health or get worse with sixth form? Thanks for your answer
username5386340
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because these feelings come and go in waves one minute I’ll think, I need to help myself and get support. And then the next minute I’ll think I was being over dramatic and that I’m fine now, and the cycle goes on. But I think I need to see past that and just make an appointment. I am going to give the GP a ring on Monday and hope that corona don’t make getting an appointment too hard. Also do you mean things will get worse with my mental health or get worse with sixth form? Thanks for your answer
I felt like that too, always thinking I was just being silly and over reacting.. It was only when I spoke to the gp when I realised I wasn't OK. Don't worry about corona they can even speak to you over the phone for now
.. I meant with both both, If you're not feeling great, chances are your grades will take a hit too bc a levels can be pretty tough at times. Your mental health is more important though so work on that and see how you feel in the coming months about sixth form. Don't hesitate to take a bit of time to work on your mental health xx
Last edited by username5386340; 3 weeks ago
confuseduser
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Keep PUSHING!

Short term pain, long term gain!
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ik you must he struggling but I would not advise you to drop out, a levels are rlly stressful, believe me I've just started year 12 so ik where you're coming from. I think if its affecting you that much then I would contact your GP and try and do some relaxation techniques like meditation etc.
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I strongly recommend you wait it out until at least after Christmas and see a school counsellor. We are in a terrible climate for fighting jobs particularly since corona when unemployment has skyrocketed. You won't get a job as easy as you think as there is literally hundreds of people applying for the same job. Try the counsellor and try to put some you time aside to do things that make you feel better e.g. reading or binge watching a series. TSR has a separate section that is very good for talking to others with MH issues if you cannot speak to your family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.47%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (645)
49.12%

Watched Threads