What A-Level is best : Computing or Maths

Watch this thread
Tiny_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am interested in a career in either Computer Science or Environmental Science. For my GCSE's I didn't choose Computer Science (which I regret) so have practically no experience of coding. For A-Levels I was thinking Biology, Environmental Science and Computing but after a bit of googling I saw some places saying Maths at A-Level was more valued for universities. However I am a little worried that if I decide to do maths at A-Level then want to do a Computer Science Degree I might not have enough knowledge on coding e.c.t. What do you recommend?
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Lets put it like this :

You can do maths without computing but you can't do computing without maths. Most unis put A level maths as a priority even over computer science !
Tiny_
Rep:
(Original post by seals2001)
Lets put it like this :

You can do maths without computing but you can't do computing without maths. Most unis put A level maths as a priority even over computer science !
Thanks!
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What about maths, computing and then environmental science or biology? They seem like the priority for what you want to do
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tiny_)
Hi, I am interested in a career in either Computer Science or Environmental Science. For my GCSE's I didn't choose Computer Science (which I regret) so have practically no experience of coding. For A-Levels I was thinking Biology, Environmental Science and Computing but after a bit of googling I saw some places saying Maths at A-Level was more valued for universities. However I am a little worried that if I decide to do maths at A-Level then want to do a Computer Science Degree I might not have enough knowledge on coding e.c.t. What do you recommend?
You don't need to do coding at school - it's cheap and easy to do at home.

Maths is the priority. However, you're going to have to demonstrate your interest in computing, which CS A level does. Otherwise, you need to do a lot of your own projects.
Tiny_
Rep:
(Original post by historynerd47)
What about maths, computing and then environmental science or biology? They seem like the priority for what you want to do
That is an option but for many science based university courses don't you need two science A-levels, so do you know if maths or computing counts for that?
apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tiny_)
That is an option but for many science based university courses don't you need two science A-levels, so do you know if maths or computing counts for that?
Maths counts as a science for quite a lot of uni courses, you'd just have to have a look at the ones you're interested in and see what they say
Tiny_
Rep:
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Maths counts as a science for quite a lot of uni courses, you'd just have to have a look at the ones you're interested in and see what they say
Thanks !
Tiny_
Rep:
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You don't need to do coding at school - it's cheap and easy to do at home.

Maths is the priority. However, you're going to have to demonstrate your interest in computing, which CS A level does. Otherwise, you need to do a lot of your own projects.
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads