The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Stace-is-Ace
Ahem. Glasgow is older than Edinburgh =P

I know it is, but the OP didn't mention Glasgow. The OP specifically mentioned St Andrews and Edinburgh, so I concentrated on those two.

But, as for Glasgow, yes it's older, is a fine uni and arguably has finer architecture than Edinburgh.
Reply 41
RamocitoMorales
But then again, Scotland has loads of hills and mountains and not enough flat ground.

It's going to be impossible to practice football. :frown:

There aren't hills and mountains everywhere.

There is some flat ground
River85
I know it is, but the OP didn't mention Glasgow. The OP specifically mentioned St Andrews and Edinburgh, so I concentrated on those two.

But, as for Glasgow, yes it's older, is a fine uni and arguably has finer architecture than Edinburgh.

Hehe =] I love the archey bits of the main uni building - totally useless but lovely to look at! So...this time tomorrow I will be at my "fine uni" =P I think it might rain. Grr.
Reply 43
lazza
Scotland is beautiful, the people are much friendlier than the english,

So far, I haven't met many people that are supposed to be more friendlier than the English (lived in England over 5 years). And those I've met weren't even Scottish, Irish and German, and even English, so most of them lived most of their lives in Scotland.

Snore
Edinburgh is COLD. Glasgow is WET. St Andrews is just ****ing remote (but actually quite sunny sometimes).

Edinburgh this summer was very wet (wettest summer ever iirc) and cold. We hardly had a sunny day, or +20°C for that matter, it was more 10°-15°. Instead we had flooding in some parts of the city.

RamocitoMorales
But then again, Scotland has loads of hills and mountains and not enough flat ground.

It's going to be impossible to practice football. :frown:

Sorry, no chance to play football up here. People up here play golf.

If you want flat ground go to Cambridge, you won't find any hills there.

Another advice, go to an open day or even better spend an extended weekend (or even a few more days) at the places you're considering to go to uni before you make any decisions.
Reply 44
c2uk

Edinburgh this summer was very wet (wettest summer ever iirc) and cold. We hardly had a sunny day, or +20°C for that matter, it was more 10°-15°. Instead we had flooding in some parts of the city.

It's been the wettest August ever the the whole country, I think. Certainly one of the wettest. So Edinburgh was no different. In fact, there would have been places affected even more than Edinburgh.
RamocitoMorales
Well, it's probably less depressing than London anyway.

Precisely :yep:
Reply 46
SillyFencer
The fact that more sun falls on Aberdeen every year than any other city in the UK proves you wrong.

Isn't that Tomintoul? People 'blend' that statistic into Aberdeen all the time. I have no connection to Aberdeen really but I've been and it was ridiculously cold.

Edinburgh is a wonderful city, and the uni is a mix of lovely buildings (law school, St Leonard's and students' union) and crap ones. It's not even particularly wet compared to some other UK cities, but it is paralysingly cold and druich - in small doses that white mist which obscures everything is very pretty, but live there and it'll get you down soon enough, it's a simple psychological reaction along the lines of S.A.D..

Glasgow is much warmer, the city has lovely sandstone buildings, the uni is like something from a fantasy novel and the people are on average friendlier and more relaxed than in Edinburgh (who have developed that impatience with tourists and outsiders you find in Oxford, Amsterdam and other touristy places). Whoever said Glasgow was grim or scary clearly knows nothing (ok as you go further out it can get a bit scary). But it rains every single day without fail. Anyone care to argue about that? You know it's true. And it's not even that life-affirming rain you might get in Achiltibuie or on the Black Isle or wherever. Just urban, dreary, mushy rain.

St Andrews is sunny by comparison but you still get the fog, it's on the east coast. I won't go on about St Andrews because again I don't have much connection but it's a hell of a lot colder than most of England.
Reply 47
Either way weather in Scotland and England isn't that much different. It's not like as soon as you cross the border into England the rain stops and the sun comes out.

And if weather is such a huuge part of where you go to University then go to Australia or somthing...
OH WHATZ, it rains in Australia too?! .....****.
Reply 48
River85
It's been the wettest August ever the the whole country, I think. Certainly one of the wettest. So Edinburgh was no different. In fact, there would have been places affected even more than Edinburgh.

It's true that this has been a wetter summer than usual all over the UK. But some parts were worse off than others. Actually, on average NI and Wales were wetter than Scotland and England:

Wales: 179.6mm
England: 101.6mm
Scotland: 152.5mm
Northern Ireland: 195.1mm

1 - 26 Aug (Source: Met Office)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7586086.stm

While Edinburgh had even more than the average was in Scotland, with in some parts almost 200mm.

P.S. I'm only highlighting this so that this guy won't consider coming to Edinburgh :wink:
Reply 49
66_crush
Either way weather in Scotland and England isn't that much different. It's not like as soon as you cross the border into England the rain stops and the sun comes out.

And if weather is such a huuge part of where you go to University then go to Australia or somthing...
OH WHATZ, it rains in Australia too?! .....****.

Actually, I perceive it as being different (moved from Cambridge to Edinburgh in May). The weather here is far more changeable (?) than it was in Cambridge. It's hardly sunny more than a few hours.

And yeah, the OP should look at studying in California or Australia for that matter: hot girls and great weather.
Reply 50
c2uk
Actually, I perceive it as being different (moved from Cambridge to Edinburgh in May). The weather here is far more changeable (?) than it was in Cambridge. It's hardly sunny more than a few hours.

Yeh i understand that, it is very changeable in Scotland, it's just some people on this thread are claiming that Scotland is never sunny, and that it rains every single day in Glasgow etc.

Seeing as i've lived in Scotland, England and Northen Ireland, id say i've never really noticed a huge difference in weather, and certainly not a big enough difference for me to base where i want to live/go to university on it.
Reply 51
66_crush
... certainly not a big enough difference for me to base where i want to live/go to university on it.

I know, I wouldn't be here if the weather would be so important but anything that makes the OP not come to Edinburgh is fine by my :smile:
Reply 52
Snore
Isn't that Tomintoul? People 'blend' that statistic into Aberdeen all the time. I have no connection to Aberdeen really but I've been and it was ridiculously cold.

Eh :confused:

I've been to Shetland, and the weather was really nice. It's always nice in Shetland :yep:
Reply 53
SillyFencer
The fact that more sun falls on Aberdeen every year than any other city in the UK proves you wrong.

Woo!

Edinburgh might be a few degrees colder than London but I would Much much MUCH rather live in Ed...
Reply 54
RamocitoMorales
Are Universities in Scotland such as Edinburgh and St Andrews miserable, grey and depressing?

Or is it possible for me to have some fun in them.

Thanks.

Scotland is not 1980's Soviet Russia.
Reply 55
SillyFencer
Eh :confused:

I've been to Shetland, and the weather was really nice. It's always nice in Shetland :yep:

Tomintoul is the town (a village, really) with the very high sun levels/temperatures in Scotland, near Aberdeen. Not Aberdeen. Which I found bloody cold.
Yeah, Tomintoul is good for skiing or so I'm told. Aberdeen is bloody cold but it also gets a lot of sunlight, so neither of you is technically wrong.
Reply 57
I didn't think Tomintoul was anywhere near Aberdeen...gawd my geography sucks these days! :s-smilie:

And, *cough* troll! *cough*
Yes, I thought Tomintoul was in the middle of the Cairngorms somewhere, although I may be wrong...

In my experience, Aberdeen is very cold and bright in winter, and cool and sunny in summer - I think it's the best type of weather :smile:

It does get rain, but I don't think you can avoid that in Britain, and Aberdeen (and the east coast in general) is drier than the Lake District (and the west coast in general :p:)
Reply 59
So... go to Aberdeen :wink:

Latest