Nannonorange
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Going into third year of Diagnostic Radiography and I’m honestly terrified of having to do the actual job and go through the application process - I have major anxiety and no confidence. I’m not sure if I even enjoy the job much - I’ve just done my first night shift and it was horrendous.

It doesn’t give me the job satisfaction I want - I feel like my role is pretty insignificant and I just don’t have a passion for it.

I’m not even sure how I ended up doing this degree...but, here we are. I feel like I’ve made a massive mistake - wasted years of my life and funding.

I’ve never really found what I enjoy - I originally wanted to do vet medicine but the pressure of getting the grades to get into uni was making me ill.

Honestly don’t know what to do?
cathrose
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nannonorange)
Going into third year of Diagnostic Radiography and I’m honestly terrified of having to do the actual job and go through the application process - I have major anxiety and no confidence. I’m not sure if I even enjoy the job much - I’ve just done my first night shift and it was horrendous.

It doesn’t give me the job satisfaction I want - I feel like my role is pretty insignificant and I just don’t have a passion for it.

I’m not even sure how I ended up doing this degree...but, here we are. I feel like I’ve made a massive mistake - wasted years of my life and funding.

I’ve never really found what I enjoy - I originally wanted to do vet medicine but the pressure of getting the grades to get into uni was making me ill.

Honestly don’t know what to do?
listen, you've just had one shift. You're just starting. Calm down. Give yourself some time to adjust and see how it goes. Some things seem scary at first then get better after a while !! It's okay if you don't like the job tho, sometimes we make mistakes and it helps us grow. Some ppl get a degree and end up using their diploma to get jobs they want. See how it goes and if you don't like it just look around for other options. You don't have to be limited to your field. Have you ever considered teaching, for example, maybe English, if it's your first language?
howtochangename
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldn't base your whole career in radiography on just one shift... there are so many factors like how you many hours you slept, the commute, any issues you had that day....It sounds stupid but those factors add up indirectly for everyone and the only way you'll know what you think about the degree is by working there for at least half a year

You are already in your third year! Do your absolute best and come out with a degree

If you're really against it, I would recommend doing the degree and looking for a graduate scheme that suits you.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are looking for something a bit different, this might appeal to you:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...t/radiographer
confuseduser
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Develop the skills and then decide whether its for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.5%
I'm not sure (58)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (605)
48.48%

Watched Threads