The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices- Aiming for a history degree

Hi,
I am currently in year 11 and am thinking about what to take for A-levels.
My passion, without a doubt, is history and I hope to be able to teach it someday.
As of right now I am thinking of taking:
History-110% not subject to change :smile:
French- I do quite well in it since my mother is a native speaker, but I do honestly find it quite difficult, my listening is really good, but my writing not so much
And Classic Civilisation- I don't know too much about it but from what I've seen it looks really interesting

I've considered swapping either of the last 2 out for;
English Lit
Theology/ Religious Studies
and Psychology

Would people who are taking any of the mentioned choices be able to give me information about the reality of choosing that subject, what you (dis)like about it and any advice on options you took/ think would be helpful for me to consider?
Reply 1
Hiya,
I'm doing History, English Lit and Biology right now, and I'm glad you're doing History, 10/10 recommend.
English Lit is really fun but it involves a lot of reading so only choose it if you like reading. Also, the exams are 3 hours long with no break.
I wanted to do Classics but couldn't, and I have a friend who does it and she really likes it, it's basically ancient history but cooler, but I would do like a taster course or something like that to see if you would like it.
I wouldn't recommend French, if you struggle, don't do it, because the writing really ramps up in languages, you essentially write whole essays in the language and it is apparently not very fun.
I'm not too sure about Theology or Psychology so I would ask some of the older students at your school, they might help you, let me know if this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emmawrr
Hiya,
I'm doing History, English Lit and Biology right now, and I'm glad you're doing History, 10/10 recommend.
English Lit is really fun but it involves a lot of reading so only choose it if you like reading. Also, the exams are 3 hours long with no break.
I wanted to do Classics but couldn't, and I have a friend who does it and she really likes it, it's basically ancient history but cooler, but I would do like a taster course or something like that to see if you would like it.
I wouldn't recommend French, if you struggle, don't do it, because the writing really ramps up in languages, you essentially write whole essays in the language and it is apparently not very fun.
I'm not too sure about Theology or Psychology so I would ask some of the older students at your school, they might help you, let me know if this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest