CJ_bangtan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm confused as to what a high electron density means and why it causes alkenes to be reactive.
flamingolover
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So electron density is basically the position of electrons in their shells and orbitals. For this im going to assume you just started year 12. Basically at GCSE level you are told that electrons move in a single shell when really its broken down into shells, sub shells and orbitals. This means that the electrons move more like a cloud. So at some points loads of electrons can be near each other and at other points they could be evenly spread out within this electron cloud.

High electron density is when lots of the electrons are in one place. Because electrons have a negative charge this creates a partial negative charge. Basically a part of the Atom is slightly negative and one end is slightly positive.

With alkenes they have more electrons in the double bond meaning that it is partially negative as there are more electrons there. This means that parts of molecules that have slightly positive ends would then be attracted to the slightly negative double bond. The electrons move out from the slightly negatively charged double bond to the slightly positive part of the other molecule which is how alkenes react.

This is how I remember it. I havent done chemistry for a few months so it may not be 100% correct but its the rough idea. I would always read the textbook and then created some specific questions and take them to your teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed