cathrose
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have worked as a receptionist at my family's hotel as a summer job. Should I put this in the employment section or will they look down on me? also I wasn't really getting paid bc ofc it was my fam
CJStevens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cathrose)
I have worked as a receptionist at my family's hotel as a summer job. Should I put this in the employment section or will they look down on me? also I wasn't really getting paid bc ofc it was my fam
What have they to look down upon? A student who has shown clear organisation and determination by balancing both studies and work? You absolutely should include it; it's impressive!

I am sure that the employment section refers to paid employment, but just double check that.
Isw
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cathrose)
I think you should definitely add it in your application. It shows that you spent a part of your summer helping your family rather than wasting it. Moreover, being a receptionist means that you have to deal with many different people experiencing different moods and still make sure that they are treated well and leave with a smile and satisfied stomach.

All the best mate!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If its not relevant to the course you have applied for, its not that important.
This section os there mostly for 21+ applicants to allow them to explain what they have been doing since leaving school.

You can use this sort of work experience in your PS as an illustration of your team working/organisational skills etc, but its not going to be the deal breaker that gets you an offer or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads