How to write personal statement
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Olaoyinoluwa)
How to write personal statement
Hey Olaoyinoluwa This is a good question...

Your Personal Statement is a chance for you to give us a chance to get to know you. You can structure this however you like, however I'd probably recommend writing it in an "introduction, main body, conclusion" format. Introduce your love and passion for the subject, and talk about what has inspired you to study it in Higher Education. In the Main Body, show off things you have done outwith your studies (any sports teams/projects/tutoring you've done maybe?) and talk about how these will help you on your course. For example, you could say "I have been the captain of my local football team for the past 6 months. This has taught me how to be a driven leader and improved my communication skills, which I know will be extremely important on a course such as Business Management". While you write your main body, you're looking to show us that you *know* what the course is and that you have done your research. Show us that you know what you're applying for and that you will succeed on the course You can then conclude by reiterating the reasons for wanting to study and your passion for the subject area.

Which subject area are you interested in? Have you had a think of what universities you'd want to go to, as some may have differing guidelines for writing your statement.

Hope this helps!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There's a whole big article on how to write it here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
Olaoyinoluwa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey Olaoyinoluwa This is a good question...

Your Personal Statement is a chance for you to give us a chance to get to know you. You can structure this however you like, however I'd probably recommend writing it in an "introduction, main body, conclusion" format. Introduce your love and passion for the subject, and talk about what has inspired you to study it in Higher Education. In the Main Body, show off things you have done outwith your studies (any sports teams/projects/tutoring you've done maybe?) and talk about how these will help you on your course. For example, you could say "I have been the captain of my local football team for the past 6 months. This has taught me how to be a driven leader and improved my communication skills, which I know will be extremely important on a course such as Business Management". While you write your main body, you're looking to show us that you *know* what the course is and that you have done your research. Show us that you know what you're applying for and that you will succeed on the course You can then conclude by reiterating the reasons for wanting to study and your passion for the subject area.

Which subject area are you interested in? Have you had a think of what universities you'd want to go to, as some may have differing guidelines for writing your statement.

Hope this helps!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm interested in studying International business at Sheffield Hallam University.

Hopefully I will be admitted.

Regards,
Oyinolaoluwa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (61)
15.37%
I'm not sure (14)
3.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (134)
33.75%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.51%
I'm not a current university student (182)
45.84%

Watched Threads